WAH pictures- diy , modded & etc.

Started by joegagan, August 05, 2011, 02:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

joegagan

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Güero

Curing the infection one bullet at a time.

joegagan

guero, that is looking great. total pro quality. love the red boards and the overall neatness,. excellent!
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Güero

Quote from: joegagan on October 03, 2011, 03:25:13 AM
guero, that is looking great. total pro quality. love the red boards and the overall neatness,. excellent!

Joe, you are the Wah Master here.  :icon_biggrin:
Thanx
Curing the infection one bullet at a time.

DavenPaget

I never understood why All Wah's were so expensive for a few parts :\
Can anyone enlighten me ?
Hiatus

joegagan

i've got it the other way around. i don't understand why they cost so little. musician's friend sells a dunlop crybaby for 80 dollars shipped. and it is a great sounding durable piece of gear.

Nikolay

Here is my wah pedal:

This was an old crybaby pedal. I modify it a little because I'm a bass player.
I change the colors and front panel logo ;)

Btw. Eva is my small daughter ;)

joegagan

very  cool, nice gloss on the red. i see you have an extra jack? also the front logo plate is pretty.

Earthscum

Quote from: DavenPaget on October 08, 2011, 12:40:47 AM
I never understood why All Wah's were so expensive for a few parts :\
Can anyone enlighten me ?

I can... Hyundai vs. International. Bic vs. Zippo.

Actually, I'll use Zippo lighters as an example. There are so many Zippo knock-offs, and the are made out of cheap sheet metal, crapnasty hollow rivets, and chrome to cover the brazing. A REAL Zippo is a drawn-tube design, brass shell. A REAL Zippo has solid pin rivets.

What does it matter? It's about the quality of a mechanical piece. Just like a Zippo, a Wah has to endure some fantastic abuse.  If you look at cheap knock-off Zippos, the flint wheels are thin, floppy on their axle. They usually just fall apart. Wah pedals can't do that. You could have a 500 lb. blues guy standing on the thing, and you don't want it to crack under the pressure. Plus, just like the flint wheel, you are rocking it back and forth... how many times throughout it's life?

And, the only other justifiably expensive part, the Pot. Everything that applies above, is as so below. Except, you also have a wiper scraping back and forth across a carbon track. A little bit of ruggedness built here will ensure a long life.

I'm not touching the inductor. I think that it's no more special than a Fet. Each one varies, there's a range that works with the stock "crybaby" circuit, yada-yada-yada. Hell, heat shrink a nail, wrap a ton of thin magnet wire around it, and tweak the circuit to match, if you feel inspired to do so. The core material, IMHO, has more of an effect than than the wire, but you can make even crap work just fine. But, that's my opinion. I wouldn't go by it, lol.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

DavenPaget

Quote from: joegagan on October 08, 2011, 12:52:40 AM
i've got it the other way around. i don't understand why they cost so little. musician's friend sells a dunlop crybaby for 80 dollars shipped. and it is a great sounding durable piece of gear.

MF sells it cheap , not quite in my area , and i hate to get it mailed .
i got quoted 195 for the classic crybaby .
And 130 for a crummy wah .
My case was i was even quoted 235 for the KH model .
That was my pet peeve .
Hiatus

davent

I've got few options for getting store or local deals but in the last year i've managed to get 2 Cry Baby's and a Vox for between $28 and $52 including shipping. One of those was brand new in box with the plastic protection still on the pedal. That one was advertised as U.FIX but after sitting on my shelf for a year finally pulled it out to trouble shoot, put a battery in and it works fine. All purchased on ebay, just have to be real patient, the deals eventually come up. If you're in the States you should be able to do it for even less with only having to pay for domestic shipping.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Nikolay

Quote from: joegagan on October 08, 2011, 05:49:42 AM
very  cool, nice gloss on the red. i see you have an extra jack? also the front logo plate is pretty.

I use 3pdt switch for true bypass + external switching. The external switch change my bass amp channels. In this case I can configure EQ of the wah pedal from the second channel of my amp.

paulyy

Both my Vox and Crybaby. Both true bypass and both are set up the same. Except the transister.

The Crybaby

I might remove the huge 4uf cap with a smaller 4uf cap like the Vox has. Its kind of tight once you put the bottom on.
Great wahs everyone. Lets see some more! :icon_twisted:

joegagan

paully, very cool. nice neat work. i dig the way vox chose to detail the inside of their wahs even 10-15 years ago by specifiying a cool aluim cover over the standard hotpotz2s that dunlop used since mid 90s (really the most durable wahpot i have tested).

i also love the rows of caps in your CB on the side of the casing,. that looks great.

paulyy

Quote from: joegagan on October 11, 2011, 11:06:08 AM
paully, very cool. nice neat work. i dig the way vox chose to detail the inside of their wahs even 10-15 years ago by specifiying a cool aluim cover over the standard hotpotz2s that dunlop used since mid 90s (really the most durable wahpot i have tested).

i also love the rows of caps in your CB on the side of the casing,. that looks great.

Thanks for your kind words.

joegagan

i just noticed - thumbs up for use of the inner washer fot the little pots. i have had numerous ( boutique, expen$ive, won't mention the names here) pedals in for repair that had loose little alpha pots like this. the inner washer goes a long way in assisting to be able to put sufficient pressure on the nut before stripping. a HUGE prob on these crapmetal bushings.

DavenPaget

Quote from: davent on October 08, 2011, 07:08:58 PM
I've got few options for getting store or local deals but in the last year i've managed to get 2 Cry Baby's and a Vox for between $28 and $52 including shipping. One of those was brand new in box with the plastic protection still on the pedal. That one was advertised as U.FIX but after sitting on my shelf for a year finally pulled it out to trouble shoot, put a battery in and it works fine. All purchased on ebay, just have to be real patient, the deals eventually come up. If you're in the States you should be able to do it for even less with only having to pay for domestic shipping.

dave

Well i don't live in the states . or even uk . but in singapore . Damn .
-Dave
Hiatus

davent

Singapore!- that certainly does complicate matters... no idea what happens with shipping when you go that far afield.  On ebay right now there's a Cry Baby seller in Isreal who lists  worldwide shipping for $15us so there are still deals you might be able to take advantage of.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

DavenPaget

Quote from: davent on October 11, 2011, 07:25:03 PM
Singapore!- that certainly does complicate matters... no idea what happens with shipping when you go that far afield.  On ebay right now there's a Cry Baby seller in Isreal who lists  worldwide shipping for $15us so there are still deals you might be able to take advantage of.

dave
Still , wouldn't trust something built so solid for only 15$ ... Smells fishy .
Hiatus