WAH pictures- diy , modded & etc.

Started by joegagan, August 05, 2011, 02:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulyy

Here's my latest wah. I haven't done anything to it yet but I will soon. I was wondering if anybody would know how old this pedal is. I'm thinking mid to late 80's. It a really good sounding wah and I might just leave this one alone. I will true bypass this one but that's it. The last owner did do some repairs to the pcb and replaced the pot. That's it. I did some google searching can't seem to find much on this setup. Thanks. Here's some pics.

Güero

Old wah,1992 according Dunlop Customer Service.
Hot Potz replacement, true bypass, Mid Shape, Booster,  6 steps Range and "Q".

Curing the infection one bullet at a time.

paulyy

@Güero
You build some really nice wahs. Very clean.
1992? Hmmm. I was thinking older but I guess 92 is old. I never thought to look at the Dunlop Customer Service. I'll check that out. Thanks.

Güero

Quote from: paulyy on January 06, 2012, 12:11:26 AM
@Güero
You build some really nice wahs. Very clean.
1992? Hmmm. I was thinking older but I guess 92 is old. I never thought to look at the Dunlop Customer Service. I'll check that out. Thanks.

Thanks !

Just send the Serial Number and ask for fabrication date to customerservice@jimdunlop.com

gmoon

Quote from: paulyy on December 29, 2011, 12:51:41 AM
Here's my latest wah. I haven't done anything to it yet but I will soon. I was wondering if anybody would know how old this pedal is. I'm thinking mid to late 80's. It a really good sounding wah and I might just leave this one alone. I will true bypass this one but that's it. The last owner did do some repairs to the pcb and replaced the pot. That's it. I did some google searching can't seem to find much on this setup. Thanks. Here's some pics.

Paulyy-- I can't tell you the actual age, but it does have an original "stack o' dimes" inductor. I think it's wise to leave it (basically) as-is.

It's got that edge connector, etc., which flag it as later. The earlier models have wire-wrapped (and soldered) posts. And it's missing the carbon-comp resistors and metallic caps. However, it looks hand-populated and the layout is identical to the earlier board. It's either early Dunlop or could it have been swapped in? (somebody correct me here.)

(I've got a Thomas Organ wah with the "dimes." Sounds good.)

paulyy

Quote from: Güero on January 06, 2012, 07:55:01 AM
Quote from: paulyy on January 06, 2012, 12:11:26 AM

Thanks !

Just send the Serial Number and ask for fabrication date to customerservice@jimdunlop.com

I think I'll do that :icon_wink: Thanks.
Quote from: gmoon on January 06, 2012, 09:04:32 AM
Quote from: paulyy on December 29, 2011, 12:51:41 AM

Paulyy-- I can't tell you the actual age, but it does have an original "stack o' dimes" inductor. I think it's wise to leave it (basically) as-is.

It's got that edge connector, etc., which flag it as later. The earlier models have wire-wrapped (and soldered) posts. And it's missing the carbon-comp resistors and metallic caps. However, it looks hand-populated and the layout is identical to the earlier board. It's either early Dunlop or could it have been swapped in? (somebody correct me here.)

(I've got a Thomas Organ wah with the "dimes." Sounds good.)

I'm leaving the stack o' dimes inductor alone. Everything in the wah seems to sound really good so I don't want to mess with it. I did do the true bypass mod and added a ac adapter to it but that's it. I'm leaving the PCB alone. The last owner did do some repairs, as you can see and had to replace the original pot. So it's not 100% original. All I can say is. It sounds really smooth and creamy. It's my new favorite wah :icon_mrgreen:

gmoon

Paully, I just hit on this link, which details an identical setup as a "transition" Dunlop wah, one with mostly Thomas parts. Probably the earliest Dunlop version made.

I can barely see from the photo, but yours also has the PCB marking described there -- Rectangular with a vintage-script capital "T" logo all around (Thomas?)

Nice find!

paulyy

Quote from: gmoon on January 07, 2012, 08:39:03 AM
Paully, I just hit on this link, which details an identical setup as a "transition" Dunlop wah, one with mostly Thomas parts. Probably the earliest Dunlop version made.

I can barely see from the photo, but yours also has the PCB marking described there -- Rectangular with a vintage-script capital "T" logo all around (Thomas?)

Nice find!
Thanks for that link. I'm guessing who ever was making the pcb's for Thomas was also making them for Jim dunlop when he bought the company. There almost the same. The only difference I see is they changed the layout alittle when they add the plug instead of the post. Thats what I'm thinking it might be. :icon_confused:

Güero

CurtisWCole

Composers shouldn't think too much - it interferes with their plagiarism.
Howard Dietz

Güero

azrael

:icon_eek:
insane work on the morley.
What does the curve button do?

Güero

Quote from: azrael on January 15, 2012, 03:19:07 PM
:icon_eek:
insane work on the morley.
What does the curve button do?

it´s a Mid shape frequence

kaycee

Recently added a new mod to this one, taken from R.G. Keen's article here: http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm

About halfway down, the Anderton Pot Descratcher - uses a Vactol (LED/LDR combo) to divide the voltage (I think?) and takes the pot out of the signal chain so you don't get the scratchy sounds as it wears in that sweet spot. The vactol changes the resistance to ground and so the sweep, you still need a pot, its not a seeing eye wah or summit!

Mine above, situated in the middle of the pic. Vero layout should anyone wish to have a go, the electro is 100uf, power filter I think so possibly could omit.

Güero

joethugs

paulyy

@ Güero
The plexie glass under the rubber foot pad is a great idea. You should see if it would work on a crybaby shell. Looks great as all ways. :icon_wink:

Güero

Quote from: paulyy on January 27, 2012, 06:13:13 AM
@ Güero
The plexie glass under the rubber foot pad is a great idea. You should see if it would work on a crybaby shell. Looks great as all ways. :icon_wink:

Tks.
Yep!  The next one will be the plexy under a Cry Baby rubber  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
But I need the customer OK  ;)

acefecoo

Hi,

I would like to do the LED mod in my GCB-95. Could you help me out? Where do I have to wire the LED?

jwar

Güero-Your builds are absolutely amazing! I love what you're doing with these wah's! I've got an old Morely wah at home that I never, ever use. I'd love to have it looking all awesome like that! What kind of mods did you do? Or did you just put a new circuit in there?