Damaged copper trace

Started by groovybenny, August 09, 2011, 02:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groovybenny

Hey guys,

I've finished soldering up the pedal, but I'm pretty sure I've damaged the copper traces on the 'in' hole of the pcb =/
My multimeter does not have a continuity mode but I've been using resistance instead- the 'in' is the only hole not showing resistance, and it is not soldering properly, so I assume it is damaged.

Can this be repaired or is there a solution?

Is this pcb useless now?

If so, It's only really about $10 for pcb, and $1 of resistors/etc, and I can desolder all the pots/IC/jacks etc, so it's not a real loss.

Cheers

Yorick

You can try to fix it with some solder, or make a bridge with wire. I once fixed a cracked pcb with solder. Worked like a charm and was surprisingly strong!

rockhorst

Strip a longer piece from your input wire, put it through the hole and route it to the next connection. Solder in place. This will work, but I suggest you do it just before boxing the effect. Too much 'manhandling' might snap the wire at the hole.
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

wavley

If it is a pcb with solder mask you might have to take a knife and scrape it away on that trace to do this...

Quote from: rockhorst on August 09, 2011, 05:06:57 AM
Strip a longer piece from your input wire, put it through the hole and route it to the next connection. Solder in place. This will work, but I suggest you do it just before boxing the effect. Too much 'manhandling' might snap the wire at the hole.

Don't worry, we've all done it.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

groovybenny

Okay guys I'm started to get frustrated :/

I haven't tried what you guys suggested yet but:

First I have another problem.

http://s901.photobucket.com/albums/ac211/bennypoos/?action=view&current=47c93c8c.jpg&evt=user_media_share

See where the resistor leads are pointing out- I had a resistor in there before that I could not get the multimeter to pick up no matter how I soldered it, so I replaced it. Now one side still will not get a response on the multimeter and the other will not soldered properly.

It's within the darker area so I don't know where it traces to.

:/

jdub

Any chance of taking a clearer shot? Pretty fuzzy... I think I can see the Martian pyramids, but not much else...;)
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

groovybenny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3D56a_l834

I made a video because I found it hard to get a clear photo- hope that helps

jdub

OK that's much better, but I'm still unclear as to what your question is.  What circuit is this for? Do you have a schematic? What's it doing/not doing?  What do you mean by "couldn't get the multimeter to pick up"?  Glad to help but need some details... :)
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

groovybenny

It's a tubescreamer clone from germicon.com which is no longer a website, so I could't find the schematic.

Well for each other component, I used the multimeter to measure resistance which to my noob knowledge I found that if I touch the 9v hole on the pcb with one probe and I could probe components to tell if they are soldered correctly? Please tell me if that is not the correct way, I'm still learning.

The circuit is not working at all but I think that is because I wired the TRS jacks the opposite way- the jacks are different to the ones I could find in diagrams. Although I want to make sure each component on the pcb is working first, which brings me to the problem that the resistor in the video has a infinite resistance value when probed compared to each other component which showed their resistance, which shows that they are soldered correctly?

Thanks for helping a noob

groovybenny

No-One?

Okay I fixed the jack wirings, and now the footswitch turns the led off and on, but there is no audio :(

egasimus

Follow the signal path with an audio probe to see how far the signal gets before cutting off.

groovybenny

Alright I need to make an audio probe first- sorry I'm new to this, I'll get back to you. Thanks for the help

Edit: I don't have to right cap, or any caps at all actually. Guess debugging will be delayed.

egasimus

Meanwhile, you can measure the voltages at the pins of the IC, and post them here. They also can be a tell-tale sign if something's wrong.

groovybenny

One probe goes to a pin of the IC and the another goes to?

Yorick

groovybenny

I can't get any reading... probably doing something wrong though.

I actually bought this pcb off a pedal builder who soldered the socket and IC in before I bought it so it's not the soldering that's at fault.