Tubescreamer clone sounding thin

Started by groovybenny, August 14, 2011, 01:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groovybenny

Hey guys,

Finished a tubescreamer ts 808 build (no mods,) but it is sounding thin, (low bass, excess high frequencies.)

Could this be: -bad soldering?
-One component isn't soldered properly?
-Needs mods.

I am comparing this to a cmatmods super signa drive and that sounds worlds better.

arawn

check your tone control, failing that try a different input cap (numerically higher value) it should be 47 nf i believe. also check the 47 pf in the feedback loop
"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic

Earthscum

double check your resistors. I have, more than several times, read a resistor backwards, or grab the wrong resistor and just slapped it in. I can't count the amount of times I had to unsolder a couple resistors and swap them around. And when in doubt, your DMM can help you out.  ;D
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

rockhorst

Depending on which circuit you're using, transistors can screw with your dmm readings and if possible, they should be removed temporarily. My bet is on the input cap.
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

groovybenny

Okay- all the resistor values are correct. So that's not the problem.

How would i use the multimeter to find the problem? Continuity? Wouldn't the circuit not work at all if something was soldered properly?

Cheers

R.G.

Quote from: groovybenny on August 14, 2011, 04:44:04 AM
How would i use the multimeter to find the problem? Continuity?
Yep. Check continuity between the PART LEAD itself and the copper.

QuoteWouldn't the circuit not work at all if something was soldered properly?
Maybe. Not all components are of equal importance to the circuit. Some are critical and any failure makes it not work at all. Some are only there to make it "polite". Some only affect part of the frequency response, as you're finding out. It's not automatic that nothing works if one joint is bad. It  IS automatic that it doesn't all work properly if anything is not correct. Some circuit flaws are the equivalent of stubbing your toe, not a heart attack.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

rockhorst

Quote from: groovybenny on August 14, 2011, 04:44:04 AM
Okay- all the resistor values are correct. So that's not the problem.

And all the capacitor values?
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

groovybenny

Yerp the caps/diodes values are correct.

I went through testing each resistor and fixed up one joint but then I realised I need to test each joint of each side of resistor, which I will do now.