Author Topic: Simple Questions  (Read 2885 times)

drnickriviera

Simple Questions
« on: August 19, 2011, 02:51:34 AM »
So I came across some extra components and I thought I'd look into making a DIY guitar pedal. This is all new to me and I've made a few mistakes along the way. I've tried a few different designs and after some failure I thought I'd start over with this beginner project. I threw it all together and the voltage is consistent with the values listed in the project voltage post. However, I can't get it to work. My biggest problems at the moment are just from a lack of understanding of the project:

-Does the guitar output go directly into this project's input? Or is a preamp required? Then, does the project output lead directly to a speaker, and can I use my guitar amp?

-I have a three-pin (stereo with ground) 1/8" audio input with a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor in the current arrangement and I combine the two pins' signals to form the input signal. Is this valid?

-Should this work properly with a bass guitar? Or does the high-pass filtering capacitor at the start seriously attenuate a bass guitar signal?

-I don't have a 5k pot so I have substituted a 10k. Is this be a problem?

I apologize if I have not included all the little necessary details about my arrangement, but I don't feel that they would be helpful to me at least until after I understand the project better. If anyone would like me to provide more information, however, I will be pleased to oblige.

.Mike

Re: Simple Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 03:31:33 AM »
Heeeeeey Everybooody!

1. This sits between your guitar and your amp. You plug your guitar into the input, and plug the output into your amp.

2. You would treat the tip as the signal, and connect the ring and sleeve and treat is as ground.

3. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how it will do with bass. Give it a shot.

4. Should work with the 10k pot.

Good luck. :)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

drnickriviera

Re: Simple Questions
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 12:13:32 PM »
My measured voltage is in the image below. Everything is scaled up because my source is a little above 9V. I tried it with a guitar as well with no luck.

I set up the input like you said. Should the output be set up analogously? Also, should every ground (including the audio jack grounds) be connected?

Other than that, should I just measure every resistor and capacitor value and the transistor?