Check my layout please? ( etching twice sucks ).

Started by buildafriend, August 20, 2011, 09:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buildafriend

Alright men, chew me up please. I have all the parts for the first four shelf models coming from Mouser. I ordered all carbon comp resistors by Ohmite, Tantalum capacitors for all the polarized caps, other caps are ceramic disk. All alpha pots, the chassis are unfinished aluminum by Hammond, Neutric connectors, and Texas Instruments 2n5088 transistors.

How would you improve this layout?

MikeH

It's a little difficult, if not impossible, not check it without component values or offboard leads labeled  :-\

Where are the inputs/outputs?  Which controls are which?  Is there an opposite side?  Because it looks like a lot of components terminate at non-connections.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

buildafriend

Oh okay,

all leads that terminate will be part of a computer generated ground plane.

circular caps are polarized

small caps are not

left triple connector pad is the TRS jack input

on top of the left side you will see the 9v connector pads

on top you will see the volume and tone control

near the first transistor fitting you will see the sustain pot connector pads

on the right you will see the output jack connector pads

If anything else helps you just let me know.

mth5044

buildafriend

boogietone

An oxymoron - clean transistor boost.

R.G.

Once I wrote a book on PCB layout. It goes through an important first step that you missed.

How will you mount this in a box?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

the3secondrule

"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

buildafriend

Quote from: R.G. on August 20, 2011, 11:40:27 PM
Once I wrote a book on PCB layout. It goes through an important first step that you missed.

How will you mount this in a box?

By drilling holes in it and using those cheap little quick connect snaps that have the sticky tape on the other side.

R.G.

Quote from: buildafriend on August 21, 2011, 12:16:10 PM
By drilling holes in it and using those cheap little quick connect snaps that have the sticky tape on the other side.
Cool. That works.

Where will you drill the holes?
R.G.

buildafriend

Two on the right in obvious spots, and the other on the left under the input. I will have to move a trace or two slightly.

R.G.

OK. I didn't see any particular place for the holes, so I couldn't tell there was any provision for it.

It has always helped me with getting PCBs to mount in the correct place to put a mounting hole and outline of the standoff actually on the PCB, not just leaving blank space. It helps me make sure I won't get interferences with the parts and traces and have to redo the layout when I get it all done and tested and then try to put it into a box. In addition, the location of the mounting holes on the PCB provide an accurate set of information for drilling/fitting mounting parts in the box as well. The only thing worse than having to etch a board twice is getting a board populated and tested, then finding out you have to redo the layout to get it to work in the box.

Just some thoughts you might want to consider.
R.G.

Strange

There are several spots where your traces are either too close or are overlapping with a few componet outlines.

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

buildafriend

Quote from: R.G. on August 21, 2011, 03:43:53 PM
OK. I didn't see any particular place for the holes, so I couldn't tell there was any provision for it.

It has always helped me with getting PCBs to mount in the correct place to put a mounting hole and outline of the standoff actually on the PCB, not just leaving blank space. It helps me make sure I won't get interferences with the parts and traces and have to redo the layout when I get it all done and tested and then try to put it into a box. In addition, the location of the mounting holes on the PCB provide an accurate set of information for drilling/fitting mounting parts in the box as well. The only thing worse than having to etch a board twice is getting a board populated and tested, then finding out you have to redo the layout to get it to work in the box.

Just some thoughts you might want to consider.

If these prototypes come out good and sell I will order a run of professional PCB's with pre made holes for PCB mounting.

Yeah I've had to re do things before and it sucks! That is why I was really hoping that I could have someone check it. I mean if you print it out and run through the traces with a highlighter from the schematic it really would not be that difficult to check. I already etched one proto board and parts get here tomorrow. Now my issue that I dont have a drill press on hand because I moved recently and pops work shop is no longer within reach.

Cheap mini drill press needed!

R.G.

Do you know a guy by the last name of Doucette?
R.G.

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

.Mike

Quote from: buildafriend on August 20, 2011, 09:52:14 PM
Alright men, chew me up please.
How would you improve this layout?
Quote from: buildafriend on August 22, 2011, 04:12:06 PMIf these prototypes come out good and sell I will order a run of professional PCB's with pre made holes for PCB mounting.

So for those of you who have not been following along at home, let me summarize:

Hi, I designed this layout for yet another Muff-- you know, the one shown in this schematic that I didn't draw? My Muff design is different: I plan on trying to sell my version.

My plan doesn't stop there, though. I'm also going to try to convince a bunch of people to help me-- for free-- so I have to put in very little actual work. Heck, I won't even label the components-- these people are smart enough to figure it out themselves.

I sure hope this sells, so I can raise enough money to get professionally manufactured boards. Coming soon-- can you check my new layout before I order my professionally manufactured boards?

I used to think R.G. was just being cynical. Now I join in the cynicism.

Good luck with your garden. The most satisfying harvest is the one that comes after a long, laborious growing season. :)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

buildafriend