Psychoplex - a new tube delay pedal

Started by jbgron, August 21, 2011, 06:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbgron

I received this email from Orbit Electronix, a company that specializes in repairing Echoplexes and other tape delays.  The pedal sounds interesting, would love to find out some more technical detail on it.

Brand New by Orbit Electronix.
  Designed after the Echoplex EP-2 input circuit a tapeless "tape" echo.
  Tube input buffer (12AX7) that runs on high voltage buffereing your
  guitar signal then to the delay circuit with analog compander and analog
  recovery.
  Very much like the EP1-2 without the hassle of the tape.
  Very nice warm dreamy sounding echo.
  SPECS:
  12 VDC power input.
  Special design Pat. Pending high voltage convertor for the preamp
  circuit.
  825mS delay time with "long" and "short" delay time switch.
  1M ohms input impedance.
  CONTROLS:
  TIME, REPEAT and LEVEL.
  Designed and produced by former Krank Amplification founder TonyKrank
  (registered trademark).
  Only $199.00 plus shipping
  Go to:
  www.orbitelectronix.com

R.G.

It's possible that it sounds great.

However, the fact that a tube is buffering the guitar signal instead of something else probably has little to do with it.

Simply putting in a tube or a germanium transistor does not automatically imbue a pedal with mystical creamy goodness.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: R.G. on August 21, 2011, 08:28:18 PM
Simply putting in a tube ...does not automatically imbue a pedal with mystical creamy goodness.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  :icon_redface:

Better leave that one alone!!  :icon_eek:  :icon_lol:  :icon_lol:  :icon_lol:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

jbgron

I'm more interested in how they get 825ms of analog delay, 2 BBD's I assume?

mth5044

Quote from: jbgron on August 21, 2011, 08:56:44 PM
I'm more interested in how they get 825ms of analog delay, 2 BBD's I assume?

Woah woah woah, no one ever said anything about analog delay.

Builders; always trying to make people believe pt2399's are analog

jbgron

True.  Its most likely a PT2399 with analog compander, like a PT-80.

Earthscum

Simply putting in a tube or a germanium transistor does not automatically imbue a pedal with mystical creamy goodness.

I thought that's why they are called "bottles"?!? Isn't there a genie inside the thing?

What caught my eye was the "Patent Pending" supply. I should do that... submit a patent for a FWR power supply so that I can label my stuff "Pat. Pend." until they get around to, obviously, denying my patent "claim".

Wish I could remember the products, it was too funny. I caught this one years ago. I watched a "New Product! We have over (xx) Patents submitted and pending! Buy it before everyone else realizes what an innovative product we have!" and 3 years later it's in Target stores with the "As Seen On T.V." mark (and the good housekeeping seal of faith), and not a single patent listed on it. I watched a few products do this... after you work for a couple crooked people, you start to notice just how far "crooked" goes.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

iccaros

Quote from: Earthscum on August 21, 2011, 09:45:31 PM

I thought that's why they are called "bottles"?!? Isn't there a genie inside the thing?

What caught my eye was the "Patent Pending" supply. I should do that... submit a patent for a FWR power supply so that I can label my stuff "Pat. Pend." until they get around to, obviously, denying my patent "claim".

Wish I could remember the products, it was too funny. I caught this one years ago. I watched a "New Product! We have over (xx) Patents submitted and pending! Buy it before everyone else realizes what an innovative product we have!" and 3 years later it's in Target stores with the "As Seen On T.V." mark (and the good housekeeping seal of faith), and not a single patent listed on it. I watched a few products do this... after you work for a couple crooked people, you start to notice just how far "crooked" goes.

sad read on the patent world
http://www.patenteducation.com/images/200705_Limited_Monopoly_-_Patent_Pending.pdf

Earthscum

Quote from: iccaros on August 21, 2011, 10:08:03 PM

sad read on the patent world
http://www.patenteducation.com/images/200705_Limited_Monopoly_-_Patent_Pending.pdf

[/quote]

Sadly... Exactly. I had heard of a form of patent hoarding years ago that some may find curiously close to the dot-com domain name hoarding. There was a company that  dropped files on a ton of illegitimate patents just to tie up a competitor until they could break them with massive amounts of court fees and royalty claims. The other company finally gave up, dropped out. Dirty politics, as R.G. points out often. It's basically a "voodoo curse"... if you know about and understand the curse, it quits affecting you. (for the most part). And, yes... that's how you break a true voodoo curse, and it is meant to bring wrath while you are unaware. Seriously.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

anchovie

Quote from: jbgron on August 21, 2011, 06:15:41 PM
TonyKrank (registered trademark)

Well I can see why he trademarked that. I bet there's a ton of people wishing they could be called Tony Krank.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Scruffie

Quote from: jbgron on August 21, 2011, 09:18:51 PM
True.  Its most likely a PT2399 with analog compander, like a PT-80.
I've seen the guts of a Delay with a tube in it before very simmilar to this... it was using the PT2395, can't recall what it was though or if it's just this.

Dave W

That's where it's at.

67Mopar

This is my first thread here on DIY. I want to say hello to everyone... Hello!

There is also a BBD version of this pedal! It's orange instead of green, and is priced $100.00 higher than the "digi-log" version. Still, the clips of the green digital one sound incredible. I own a Fulltone TTE and an EP-2. I purchased an analog one, so I can't wait to A/B them through my Cornford.