Supreaux -> Supro Schematic?

Started by freddd, January 22, 2008, 07:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddd

Does anyone have the schematic of the supro 16t, the amp runoffgrooves supreaux is based upon? I've been looking at the Gretsch 6150 and assumed the 16t was the same circuit but there are a few differences it would seem.

ambulancevoice

try asking the run off groove guy about it
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

s.r.v.

i think i might have a schematic, but i lost the usb key i keep all that on. if i find it, i'll let you know

EDIT:
well i have schems for these:
S6424
s6606
s6611
s6616
s6622
s6625
s6651
s6688
s6689
supro supreme
supro thunder reverb
supro thunderbolt
supro valco early 1953
turretboard.com also has a supro kit, with a schem and layout. if any of those look useful, just pm me and ill email you it

Baktown

For what it's worth, I successfully built a Supreaux, which sounds pretty good actually, even though the tone control is useless.

Axl

B Tremblay

Useless, huh?  Sorry to hear that.

Send an email to the email address listed at the bottom of runoffgroove.com pages and I'll send the 16T (aka Gretsch 6151) to you.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

freddd

Ah, so it's the Gretsch 6151 not the 6150, my mistake! http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/gretsch6151.pdf

Thanks for the info Bri, I've just been insipred by your supreaux pedal to create a supro amp from a valve junior 8) I really like the supreaux, in fact, it's my favorite ROG build!

Krinor

Here's the Supro 16t schem. if you're still interested:

Some amp-kit maker (can't rememeber right now which one) told me this is the one. He's using this schematic for his Supro 16t kit anyway, so I guess he's right. The Gretch schem. looks simpler. Are you sure it's the same ?

B Tremblay

That schematic is not the same as the 16T amp I have.  Mine has only one power tube and it is a 6V6.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Krinor

Mr Tremblay,
Which model do you have ? It's the one you based the supreaux on right ?
The schematic I posted above is model 1624t. Here's the interior. I should have noticed that this one has a more complex design.
Sorry if this caused confusion. I realize now that it would be nice to try the jfet to tube approach on this model too though.  :icon_wink:

Baktown

Mr. Tremblay,

My sincerest apologies for my snide comment about the tone control on the Supreaux.  I was not in any way implying that your design was useless, and I'm really sorry that it came across that way.  Since my building skills are rudimentary at best, I'm sure the problem is of my own doing.

And let me say to everyone here that ROG is one of the best and certainly one of the most comprehensive DIY sites around, and I greatly appreciate all the hard work that they've put into designing, testing, and sharing these circuits and layouts with all of use.

Rock on!

Axl

B Tremblay

Axl, don't sweat it.  I wasn't offended at all.  It is a dead-simple treble bleed control and I'll admit that it is still rather bright even when at its minimum.  The original amp responds a bit better, though.

Krinor, mine is a c.1965 Supro 16T.  That's the only designation on the faceplate other than Valco - Chicago.  I did in fact base the Supreaux on it, which is the only amp-to-FET distortion that I had the luxury of comparing the original amp and the pedal it inspired.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

theehman

B Tremblay:  Send me some pics or info on the controls, tubes, and speakers used in your 16T and I'll see if I've got a schematic that matches it.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

B Tremblay

Ron, thanks for the offer, but I already have a schematic for the 16T.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

stm

Quote from: Baktown on January 23, 2008, 11:10:34 AM
Mr. Tremblay,

My sincerest apologies for my snide comment about the tone control on the Supreaux.  I was not in any way implying that your design was useless, and I'm really sorry that it came across that way.  Since my building skills are rudimentary at best, I'm sure the problem is of my own doing.

And let me say to everyone here that ROG is one of the best and certainly one of the most comprehensive DIY sites around, and I greatly appreciate all the hard work that they've put into designing, testing, and sharing these circuits and layouts with all of use.

Rock on!

Axl
Axl,

In order to obtain a TONE control response similar to the real thing it is necessary to add a 120k resistor in series with the 10n capacitor, just before the tone control network.

The reason is simple: the real amp has an output impedance around 150k, thus the effect of the tone control cap is quite effective.  On the other hand, the Supreaux has an output impedance around 10k in the second stage, thus the tone cap effect is off by a factor of ten or so.

Try it and let us know!

Baktown

Sebastian,

Thanks for the info, I'll try it tonight when I get home!

Rock on!

Axl

Krinor

Quote from: stm on January 23, 2008, 06:09:46 PM
Quote from: Baktown on January 23, 2008, 11:10:34 AM
Mr. Tremblay,

Rock on!

Axl
Axl,

In order to obtain a TONE control response similar to the real thing it is necessary to add a 120k resistor in series with the 10n capacitor, just before the tone control network.

The reason is simple: the real amp has an output impedance around 150k, thus the effect of the tone control cap is quite effective.  On the other hand, the Supreaux has an output impedance around 10k in the second stage, thus the tone cap effect is off by a factor of ten or so.

Try it and let us know!

Personally I find the tonecontrol very nice as is.
But if this little mod makes it more authentic I guess I'll have to try it.
Maybe you should update the Supreaux section at the ROG site ? Always nice to know about possible mods.  :icon_wink:

mojo_hand

What you're looking for is the schematic for a Supro s6616. http://www.schematicheaven.com/bargainbin/supro_s6616.pdf

EDIT: Oh, never mind, I see the Gretsch version is referenced above...

stm

Quote from: Baktown on January 23, 2008, 06:34:58 PM
Sebastian,

Rock on!

Axl
Hi Axl,

Did you have a chance to try the TONE control mod?  Did it work for you?

sevenisthenumber

How was this? Did it work?

Quote from: Baktown on January 23, 2008, 06:34:58 PM
Sebastian,

Rock on!

Axl