Analog Sample Rate Reducer: Bugcrusher Help

Started by bluehevy75, August 19, 2010, 05:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluehevy75

I have been working on trying to complete a bugcrusher pedal for use with guitar: http://thesquarewaveparade.com/images/Bugcrusher-9v.gif

It is not working as advertised and I'm not sure why. Maybe someone can help me troubleshoot.

Here is what is happening:
1. When engaged it has only a gated fuzz sound.
2. The pot does not change the sound at all.
3. The sound is a little bit quiet.
4. I have to play very hard to get a normal sound.
5. Softer playing produces no audible sound at all.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Earthscum

I'd first start by checking all your connections. See where the wires cross at C-16? Those two wires should NOT be touching. I suspect that is where your problem be. I would take out the short wire and just solder your pot right in to D-16.

Also, where the wires cross at G-7 should NOT be touching. This type of layout got me when I first started out.

Good luck! Hopefully that gets things fixed up!
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

tiges_ tendres

There are a lot of pitfalls that could be made judging by the layout.  Lots of places where it looks like connections are made, where they might not be.  Do you have a schematic?

Also, this is a 9+/- circuit.  Do you have a way to provide that voltage?
Try a little tenderness.

bluehevy75

Quote from: Earthscum on August 19, 2010, 07:41:54 PM
I'd first start by checking all your connections. See where the wires cross at C-16? Those two wires should NOT be touching. I suspect that is where your problem be. I would take out the short wire and just solder your pot right in to D-16.

Also, where the wires cross at G-7 should NOT be touching. This type of layout got me when I first started out.

Good luck! Hopefully that gets things fixed up!

I went backed and rechecked those connections. I'm kind of a noob (I've made a few simple pedals: fuss, boost, switching, etc...) so I'm not sure that my technique is always right but I used pushpins and wire jumpers to get around those problem spots where things shouldn't be touching.

Thanks though.

bluehevy75

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on August 19, 2010, 07:46:41 PM
There are a lot of pitfalls that could be made judging by the layout.  Lots of places where it looks like connections are made, where they might not be.  Do you have a schematic?

Also, this is a 9+/- circuit.  Do you have a way to provide that voltage?

I think the schematic is here: http://electro-music.com/forum/post-90435.html

Again, I'm no expert and my schematic reading skills aren't that good. I mostly follow layouts.

As far as voltage, to the best of my knowledge I took 2 9v batteries and hooked them up like it shows in the layout.

Thanks. Let me know if you have more ideas.

Keep the suggestions coming guys. If you don't help me find the problem I may have to scrap the pedal.

bluehevy75

I just remembered something. It calls for IC2 to be 40106n. I had a hard time finding that. The one I purchased from Newark says: CD40106BCN. I assumed they'd work the same as they are both Hex Schmitt Triggers but maybe I'm wrong. Ideas?

Earthscum

<shrug>

Ya may try an Analog Bitcrusher: ABC Schem

Don't think there's a vero or anything, though. It worked perfectly for me, except that it's a noisy beast. There's threads about it on these forums.

Or a Nyquist Aliaser looks like it could be pretty fun, too.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

Greenmachine

Hi, reviving an old thread here.

Can anyone comment if the CD40106BCN is confirmed to work in this circuit?  Circuit calls for 40106N.

Much appreciated.

I've got one wired up with a MAX1044 supply that reads pretty good voltage-wise in most places, but doesn't pass any audio at all.  Swapped out chips in every position.  Triple checked etc.