Equinox: Easy PT2399 Reverb

Started by merlinb, September 20, 2011, 10:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theundeadelvis

You can just paste it in the address bar without the www. part (just start with freewebs.com). It will redirect to the appropriate address. Works fine for me in Chrome and Firefox
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

waltk

With Merlin's permission and assistance, I made a PDF with all the files related to the Equinox.  It has high-resolution images of the schematic, layout, and PCB transfer.  The PCB transfer image is actual size.  There's also a bill of materials included.  The PDF is hosted here in the DIYStompboxes gallery - so it shouldn't disappear.

Here's the download link: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=46248&g2_GALLERYSID=74c3a65f5fc52fdecfa64fec06407a15

askwho69

this is a reverb that i was looking for :D opps found! :D

Thanks so much
"To live is to die"

John Lyons

Thanks for the rehost Walt, cool circuit Merlin.
Thanks for sharing! :icon_biggrin:
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Mark Hammer

I etched and drilled two boards last night, and am looking forward to stuffing them and firing them up.  We have a government-wide charity drive for the United Way every year at this time, and in years past I've contributed a pedal to the fundraising auction.  This year's contribution will be an Equinox, with whatever additional bells and whistles I can stuff into a 125-C.

Thanks.  :icon_biggrin:

meffcio

Quote from: waltk on September 21, 2011, 07:16:05 PM
With Merlin's permission and assistance, I made a PDF with all the files related to the Equinox.  It has high-resolution images of the schematic, layout, and PCB transfer.  The PCB transfer image is actual size.  There's also a bill of materials included.  The PDF is hosted here in the DIYStompboxes gallery - so it shouldn't disappear.

Here's the download link: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=46248&g2_GALLERYSID=74c3a65f5fc52fdecfa64fec06407a15
Great, I was waiting for that. For this kind of reverb, AND for the pdf. ;) Since I have some pt's, I'll build this guy soon, and see for myself what is it capable off.
But to be honest - vectorized pcb in the pdf would be much better (loseless). ;) Isn't the tracing software capable of exporting the board directly to the pdf?

merlinb

Quote from: meffcio on September 22, 2011, 04:55:24 PM
Isn't the tracing software capable of exporting the board directly to the pdf?
Good question. I'll have to double check that...

dam28

Quick question: What's the point of transistor Q1? Am I right in thinking the output from the first opamp feeds into the input of the first PT? I just don't understand Q1.

Cheers!
D

merlinb

Quote from: dam28 on September 27, 2011, 08:57:26 AM
Quick question: What's the point of transistor Q1? Am I right in thinking the output from the first opamp feeds into the input of the first PT? I just don't understand Q1.
Q1 in an analog switch. When the base is pulled low the transistor switches off, and no signal is passed to the delay line. This is how bypass with tails is achieved. You could also use a FET in this position, if the base resistor is replaced with a diode, which might look more familiar to you?

dam28

Interesting. So it's simply the bypass on the circuit? I could just feed the output of the op-amp into the input of the PT?

merlinb

Quote from: dam28 on September 27, 2011, 09:20:58 AM
Interesting. So it's simply the bypass on the circuit? I could just feed the output of the op-amp into the input of the PT?
Yes you could replace Q1 with a direct link, if you are using true bypass or something.

Paradigm X

Hi, thanks for posting this, I have 5 pt2399s and been looking for a reverb, perfect!

Minro query (bit of a noob, sorry), would this require any modification for use as line level (synths etc)?

Cheers,

Ben

therecordingart

If anyone is planning on etching a board...etch an extra and I'll buy it off of you.

dam28

merlinb

Quote from: Paradigm X on September 27, 2011, 12:29:28 PM
Minro query (bit of a noob, sorry), would this require any modification for use as line level (synths etc)?
The delay line will handle 2Vp-p signals as it is. If you want it to handle larger signals then you would need to reduce R11 and increase R19 proportionately.

Paradigm X

Quote from: merlinb on September 27, 2011, 03:08:52 PM
Quote from: Paradigm X on September 27, 2011, 12:29:28 PM
The delay line will handle 2Vp-p signals as it is. If you want it to handle larger signals then you would need to reduce R11 and increase R19 proportionately.

Thank-you. :)

If anyone in the UK (or elsewhere TBH) is making a PCB and can possibly make an additional one I'd be happy to compensate for materials, time and postage.
Many thanks!

Ben

asatbluesboy

Baaaaaabyyyyy... Baby, baby, I am gonna leave yo-ou... I ain't joking, woman--I've got to ramble.

Awesome song from an awesome band. I can't recall any band having ever recorded such a perfect first album (ok, it's not the first since they were technically "The New Yardbirds", but anyways...).

Need. To. Build. One. Much more practical than hauling that AC-fed bitch Microverb II around.
...collectors together and emitter to base? You're such a darling...

ton.

dam28

Another quick question. R19 and C13 make up the feedback. When I don't connect these I just get two delays, as expected, when I connect the feedback though the circuit goes into crazy oscillation. This is expected also I guess but wonder if you know how to over come this? Get a the reverb to fade out gradually and not go mental!

Good build though. Really enjoying the design.

D

merlinb

Quote from: dam28 on October 02, 2011, 08:11:33 AM
Another quick question. R19 and C13 make up the feedback. When I don't connect these I just get two delays, as expected, when I connect the feedback though the circuit goes into crazy oscillation. This is expected also I guess but wonder if you know how to over come this? Get a the reverb to fade out gradually and not go mental!
It shouldn't oscillate... sure you haven't made a mistake somewhere? Did you change R11 maybe?
Anyway, quick answer is increase R19 until it stops oscillating.

dam28

I'll give this a go later. It sounds quite cool but its a bit hard to control! Ill check my layout and keep you updated. Thanks again.

D