Equinox: Easy PT2399 Reverb

Started by merlinb, September 20, 2011, 10:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alparent

RT60 is the time required for reflections of a direct sound to decay by 60 dB below the level of the direct sound.

I was thinking "Decay" but even if it would be technically correct it invoke something else. Like the decay of a distortion pedal.
But I really like the "AMBIANCE" suggestion  :icon_biggrin:

waltk

QuoteCan you double check that R26 is 4.7k and not 470R?
Also, you haven't used these PTs for any other previous projects have you? If they latch up once, they will do it again and again, even when the delay resistance is increased to a 'safe' value.

QuoteThanks for the suggestion.  I'll check this when I get back home on Friday.  These were new unused PTs.  I've used other PTs from this batch in other projects and haven't had an issue before, but I've seen a lot of other posts about how touchy they are.  I guess it's my turn to have problems with them.

OK. So I did a little more checking.  R26 is 4.7k.

I have about 1 dozen PT2399s.  They all look identical - except for the batch numbers on them (at least I presume they are batch numbers).  Two of them were from one batch, and the other 10 were from another newer batch.  I pulled the 2 older ones from their socketed locations (in a Magnus Modulus, and a datasheet-spec delay).  When I put these in the Equinox, it worked fine.  I tried a few different combinations of PT2399s from the new batch in the Equinox, and they all had the same latch-up problem - although it looked like in some cases only one of the two chips latched.

As reported earlier, if I start up with low voltage, and then ramp it up to full voltage, the latch up problem doesn't occur.  With a little experimentation, I found that if I just power the PT2399s with a lower-than-standard voltage (say 4.5V), they work fine.  So I replaced the 7805 with and adjustable LM317, and hardwired the adjusting resistors to produce 4.3 V instead of 5V.  Now my Equinox works fine.

I've heard of other folks INCREASING the PT2399 power supply to 6V in order to reduce the minimum delay time,  so I thought decreasing the power supply voltage might increase the delay time (and make it more like a delay than a reverb).  So far, I haven't heard a difference - but haven't tested that much yet.

It seems clear that some PT2399s do not perform as well as others, and I think it's probably related to their manufacturing batch rather than a particular vendor.  If you have had the misfortune of getting a marginal batch - try reducing the power supply a bit.  It worked for me.

meffcio

Dudes, anyone to record some additional samples or video?

waltk

There are a couple MP3 samples in the first post.

merlinb

This thread has been viewed nearly 6000 times, and there hasn't been a single build report! Guess I'm the only one who built one... :icon_lol:

sugonidamaso

Hi! Nope,
Quote from: merlinb on December 05, 2011, 05:28:03 AM
This thread has been viewed nearly 6000 times, and there hasn't been a single build report! Guess I'm the only one who built one... :icon_lol:
I was the one who build the 2nd (first in the forum) right? :icon_lol: A really great pedal! Thanks merlin and Govmnt Lacky!http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=93421.20
" The greatest inspiration is often born out of desperation--so be DESPERATE! "

merlinb

Quote from: sugonidamaso on December 05, 2011, 07:08:05 AM
I was the one who build the 2nd (first in the forum) right? :icon_lol: A really great pedal! Thanks merlin and Govmnt Lacky!http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=93421.20
But I want pictures, otherwise it never happened!   ;)

waltk

QuoteGuess I'm the only one who built one...

Mine is more-or-less done.  Works fine and sounds pretty much like Merlin's demo MP3.  Not in a box yet, but I think I'm going to build it into a small stand-alone combo amp with a noisy cricket.

I substituted an LM317 (TO92) for the 7809 in order to reduce the supply voltage for the PT2399.  You have to tack on a couple resistors to set it at the required voltage.  As I mentioned above, REDUCING THE SUPPLY VOLTAGE TO THE PT2399 COMPLETELY FIXED THE LATCH-UP PROBLEM WITH MY MARGINAL PT2399s (shouted here so others might find/try this fix).

Thanks for sharing this, Merlin!

Pictures to come...

LaceSensor

I built one and it did not work sadly. All i could get was a weak delay out of it.
PRobably shitty PT2399 but I dunno for sure.

sugonidamaso

Quote from: merlinb on December 05, 2011, 08:26:24 AM
Quote from: sugonidamaso on December 05, 2011, 07:08:05 AM
But I want pictures, otherwise it never happened!   ;)

you mean this one? ;) already changed the 10ufNP to 1ufNP.

cosmetically, it sucks!but it sounds great!
" The greatest inspiration is often born out of desperation--so be DESPERATE! "

meffcio

waltk

QuoteBut I want pictures, otherwise it never happened!

Here's mine.  Not in a box yet.  PT2399s finally working with reduced voltage. The sloppy-looking resistors hanging off of the right set the output of the lm317lz.

waltk

QuoteSamples! Please!  

Another sample: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/waltk/Photos/Babe2.mp3.html

Used my DIY recording interface for this - left channel is with Equinox, right channel is straight from guitar.

PereatMundus

Waiting for a 1590A layout   :icon_mrgreen:
Or well time to sit down and  fiddle together a 2PCB stacked layout so I can fit it in a 1590A , but very little time atm.  Just 1 stompbox every weekend I'm afraid.  and its a long list.  :(

Thanks a LOT! thou great work and thanks for sharing! Will try when there is more time.
Guitars: Westone Prestige 150 - Aria Pro II CS-400BnG
Amps: 5150 - SloClone
Fx: 20+ DIY (100+)
Play: Kraut/Death/Industrial/Noise
Pereat Mundus Et Furia Tempo-Leena Krohn/Schopenhauer

egasimus

http://www.guitar-gear.ru/index.php?p=proj&id=71
here's a version by Russian pedalbuilders. they do link to this thread, though.

merlinb

Quote from: egasimus on December 15, 2011, 03:11:32 AM
Incredible- they even re-did the PCB! those crazy Russians!  :icon_mrgreen:

egasimus

It's cuz they apparently use mostly Gainta enclosures instead of Hammond...

PereatMundus

Quote from: merlinb on December 15, 2011, 08:54:13 AM
Quote from: egasimus on December 15, 2011, 03:11:32 AM
Incredible- they even re-did the PCB! those crazy Russians!  :icon_mrgreen:

Quote from: egasimus on December 15, 2011, 09:17:04 AM
It's cuz they apparently use mostly Gainta enclosures instead of Hammond...

Enclosures, yea >Hammond< is in reality a North America thing.

For instance In Europe, Hammond actually <Own> the company
Eddystone, who's enclosurs is standards complient and more
common.
(they have versions with close to exact the same dimentions as
all hammond stuff)

That is Eddystone is almost Identical to Hammond, with a slight
change in "style", Its corners arent as "soft" as hammond its
more Bauhaus ;) .

Anyway The economy in Europe lets people actually use Hammond.
Even thou here you have to pay a premium for them.
*Eddystone half or less the cost of Hammond.

It's all about where the stuff is manufactured, and slow to change
traditions.

Fun fact: its usually cheaper to buy handpainted hammond
enclosures  from NorthAmerica including shipping to europe. then it
is to buy a stock untouched hammond enclosure in local electronics
shops (Local-online and brick and mortar store)

NorthAmerica <Hammond
Russia <Gainta
Europe <Eddystone

On Topic

Its interesting that  RuNET(Russian Internet) added a switch and externalised the mix pot.  well worth to note that and try.

egasimus

^ on-topic: wasn't there a switch in the original Equinox? What was it, bassier mode or sum'n?

Off-topic:
QuoteAnyway The economy in Europe lets people actually use Hammond.
QuoteFun fact: its usually cheaper to buy handpainted hammond
I live in Bulgaria.. It's not much of an European country, lol, $4000 per year is considered a normal income here. It's a funny place to live in... if you like black comedy, that is.
There's only one place near me where die-cast aluminum enclosures are to be found - namely Pro's Kit 125A and 125Bs, and one larger size. The 125Bs are 10BGN (~7USD) which is still prohibitively expensive for me with my ~250BGN wage.
The next best thing are boxes cut from a rectangular aluminum profile, like I saw in some tutorial somewhere. They have two big stoppers on each end, and cost ~2-3 BGN a piece, but look quite unprofessional with their (crappy) white powder coat. And, since they open from the sides, it's a bitch to fit anything in there.

Not really trying to make a point or anything - just sharing my experience... If you can give me a link to an online shop which can deliver powder-coated (and preferably pre-drilled) 1590B/125B enclosures to me for under 10EUR/piece in small numbers, I'd be eternally grateful.

PereatMundus

Quote from: egasimus on December 15, 2011, 09:53:29 AM
^ on-topic: wasn't there a switch in the original Equinox? What was it, bassier mode or sum'n?

Off-topic:
QuoteAnyway The economy in Europe lets people actually use Hammond.
QuoteFun fact: its usually cheaper to buy handpainted hammond
I live in Bulgaria.. It's not much of an European country, lol, $4000 per year is considered a normal income here. It's a funny place to live in... if you like black comedy, that is.
There's only one place near me where die-cast aluminum enclosures are to be found - namely Pro's Kit 125A and 125Bs, and one larger size. The 125Bs are 10BGN (~7USD) which is still prohibitively expensive for me with my ~250BGN wage.
The next best thing are boxes cut from a rectangular aluminum profile, like I saw in some tutorial somewhere. They have two big stoppers on each end, and cost ~2-3 BGN a piece, but look quite unprofessional with their (crappy) white powder coat. And, since they open from the sides, it's a bitch to fit anything in there.

Not really trying to make a point or anything - just sharing my experience... If you can give me a link to an online shop which can deliver powder-coated (and preferably pre-drilled) 1590B/125B enclosures to me for under 10EUR/piece in small numbers, I'd be eternally grateful.

problem with that is the "small numbers"

I get most my hammond stuff from:  [only when I want them pre-painted powder coat]
http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/
real real cheap, BUT! because of shipping you need to order a bunch at a time.  like 6+ to really make it worth it.

When I buy NONpainted I tend to go for the eddystone
Or sometimes noted as "hammond 27134PSLA"  usually ~3-5Euros or less from local places. or any european electronics supplier.

But if your after powder coated for "under 10EUR/piece". pedalpartsplus is still fine.   about 6Euro a piece for 1590B size stuff including painting.
shipping is 35-40 USD ~29Euro. so if you order say 6-7boxes. you net at under 10Euro/Box shipped and painted.
Its usually 35-40USD shipping if you order 2boxes or 20.. so  save up and order when you got lots of project ready for boxing, or pre-plan to order for what projects you plan to do in the near future.

EDIT:
thing is from my local supplier  a 1590B costs 10Euro. NON painted, while the same die-cast alu eddystone is 4Euro. and a pre-painted 125 from pedalparts is 6Euro.