woolly mammoth parts help!! kinda urgent!

Started by Output, September 28, 2011, 10:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Output

Hello!

I want to build a woolly mammoth as my first pedal and I have all the components listed, but I don't know what they specifically are...

R1: 2.2K
R2: 100K
R3: 51K
R4: 20K
R5: 10K
R6: 4.99K

are there 1/2w or 1/4w resistors?

C1: 220nF
C2: 10nF
C3: 10nF
C4: 220nF

are there axial? or radial?

C5: 100uF
C6: 100uF

i think these are disc capacitors and I know they're polarised because I see the "-" sign on their side

Can you help? The reason I said it's urgent is because I'm buying them this weekend

Thanks

theundeadelvis

-1/4 watt resistors are fine for most 9 volt effects. (you can use 1/2 watt but they are bigger and may not easily fit in some layouts)
-Most caps in pedals are radial (although I've seen some people use axials)
-The 100uf's are electrolytic capacitors (yes they are polarized)
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

mthibeau

I built a Woolly Mammoth last week following this perf layout.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lYIkG8l6u5g/TVnFxKNs8cI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/tH1nDAr3mvA/s1600/ZVex+Woolly+Mammoth+-+smallest.png

I subbed the 4.99k resistor with a 5.1k
I used a ceramic cap for the smaller of the 10nf (in that layout)
I used axial electrolytic caps (100uF) as this layout could use them. Other layouts (the one on Sabrotone for example, would work better with radial ones).

My build worked perfect, I may replace the 5.1k resistor with the 4.99 once I get my hands on one.

- MikeT

Jaicen_solo

I built one of these the other day. I like it, but it's not one of my go-to fuzz pedals. I built it really to get the Muse sound, having just expanded into bass ownership.
With some fiddling, that sound is in there, but there's not much else of use. It has a very mis-biased sound, exactly like Z's video.

The best mod I can suggest is to have switchable input caps, the stock cap is too big and waffly for my setup.

Output

hello,

Thanks for the replies.

i don't know how to put switchable input caps since this would be my first pedal.

Here's the layout I will be following:

But there's no switch in that layout, so I found this:

and this

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/

Why is there one of the pins left out in that link but there is none in the pic I put above?

Thank you!