Tufnel JRC386D IC

Started by Rockitdog, October 21, 2011, 05:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockitdog

Hi there

I am looking at Beavisaudio's Tufnel schematic and it lists 2X JRC386D IC's.

Just done a search on Smallbear and my Local supplier (Mantech) and nothing come's up.

Is this the same Amp?
If not, what alternatives could I try?

http://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=35M4393

National - LM386N

Thanks
Richard

deadastronaut

yep they'll be ok..... ;)

they go to 11... ;D
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

DavenPaget

Quote from: Rockitdog on October 21, 2011, 05:50:36 AM
Hi there

I am looking at Beavisaudio's Tufnel schematic and it lists 2X JRC386D IC's.

Just done a search on Smallbear and my Local supplier (Mantech) and nothing come's up.

Is this the same Amp?
If not, what alternatives could I try?

http://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=35M4393

National - LM386N

Thanks
Richard
Yup , any 386N can do , JRC386D will be quite hard to find .
Hiatus

Electron Tornado

Recommend using a 386N3. Notes will fade more smoothly than with a 386N1.
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

Mark Hammer

Hmmm, I dunno, it's such a fine line between genius and stupidity, innit?  :icon_wink:

The 386D can handle higher output levels without letting the magic blue smoke out, and is JRC's all-purpose version of the 386.  NatSem's version comes in 386-1, 386-3, and 386-4 flavours.  If you're aiming for credible loudness through 8-ohm speakers, the 4 is what you want, whereas the 1's are for more modest headphone levels into 16, 32 (or higher) ohm impedance headphones.  The D will do ya for any of those.  More rugged chip, certainly, though I don't know that it is absolutely necessary for a pedal.  It may sound a little different though.  I'm sure "Beavis" tried out different ones and liked these.  You don't have to, though.

jefe

Smallbear has 'em:

"Japan Radio Corp. version of the 386 for "Smokey" amps."

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=207

JRC386D is now known as NJM386D

edit: mouser might even have the NJM386D, not sure. Look up the datasheet for NJM386D, you'll see it's from "New Japan Radio Co" or something.

DavenPaget

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 21, 2011, 10:41:49 AM
Hmmm, I dunno, it's such a fine line between genius and stupidity, innit?  :icon_wink:

The 386D can handle higher output levels without letting the magic blue smoke out, and is JRC's all-purpose version of the 386.  NatSem's version comes in 386-1, 386-3, and 386-4 flavours.  If you're aiming for credible loudness through 8-ohm speakers, the 4 is what you want, whereas the 1's are for more modest headphone levels into 16, 32 (or higher) ohm impedance headphones.  The D will do ya for any of those.  More rugged chip, certainly, though I don't know that it is absolutely necessary for a pedal.  It may sound a little different though.  I'm sure "Beavis" tried out different ones and liked these.  You don't have to, though.

He's not driving a 'phone , he's DRIVING A PEDAL !

It's like saying he's not driving a truck , he's driving a SCOOTER .
Though , i only have original JRC chips and none of natsemi's .
Hiatus

Rockitdog

Quote from: deadastronaut on October 21, 2011, 06:01:31 AM
yep they'll be ok..... ;)

they go to 11... ;D

8)

Classic Tufnel.

Thanks a whole bunch everyone. Loads of options. Appreciated.

Rock on!

Rockitdog

Quote from: Electron Tornado on October 21, 2011, 08:52:04 AM
Recommend using a 386N3. Notes will fade more smoothly than with a 386N1.

Very handy to know.

Thanks  ;D

Mark Hammer

Quote from: DavenPaget on October 21, 2011, 12:41:25 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 21, 2011, 10:41:49 AM

He's not driving a 'phone , he's DRIVING A PEDAL !
Understood.  Just clarifying the differences and what may or may not make them relevant to any given case.  This particular design wants a 386.  It doesn't need the ability to produce 1w into a speaker; it just needs to be a 386 of some sort.  Whether the JRC sounds better to your ears than the NatSem or some other form is up to you; same way it would be up to you whether a TL072 sounds better in your overdrive pedal than a TL082 or OP275 or CA3240 or JRC4558, etc.

electrichammer

Hi,

Ist it possible to replace the JRC386D IC with a Tube ?  ???

Thanks in advance

JustinFun

You could replace it with a tube *amp*  ;)