Im Needing a Noise-Gate

Started by Ultrakd, November 03, 2011, 04:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultrakd

I have somebody that needs me to make them a noise gate, I also need one myself. I was looking at the notepad mxr noisegate but I didn't know how good of a gate that was. I would like to get the Isp Decimator but I don't have the money to get one. Has to anyone used the tonepad noise gate? Does anyone know of any Decimator builds or other noise gates?
Guitars: Ibanez S570DXQM
Amps:  Peavey ValveKing 112, Roland 15XL
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3, Wave Breaker Tremolo,

boog

imho, the mxr factory gate sucks, so i wouldn't expect the diy version to be much better. i like the ns2 much better. and since i find using diy to be a fun way to shape tone, generate tone, i really don't think i'll ever build a gate unless i want to say 'i built a noise gate'

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Ultrakd on November 03, 2011, 04:19:28 PM
I would like to get the Isp Decimator but I don't have the money to get one. Does anyone know of any Decimator builds or other noise gates?

Try here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=88902.0

Good Luck!  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

nomorebetts

I've built the tonepad noise gate and I wasn't overly happy with it.

I had a lot of choppy decay problems which seems to be quite common with the project.
I tried all the things suggested in the build reports and various threads here but I never got it working how I liked.
I eventually ditched it and got a decent power supply and my noise problems disappeared!  :D

That's just my 2 cents  :icon_rolleyes:
I like Big Muffs! and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny...

amptramp

Instead of a noise gate, have you considered a level-based lowpass filter?  Before the era of Dolby, RCA built these into some of their high-end radios with phono inputs or record changers, such as the RCA model A-33 that I have.  The circuit was two tubes, either a 6SQ7 and a 6SK7 octal or a 6AV6 and a 6BA6.  In operation, the 6AV6 triode was used as an amplifier to drive one of its own diode plates through a 180 pF cap.  The diode shunt provided a negative voltage based on the amount of high-frequency hiss on the record.  This voltage was lowpass filtered through a two-stage RC network of 470K resistors and 5 nF capacitors to a 3.3 megohm resistor to the grid of the 6BA6.  The audio input connection had a 1 megohm resistor to ground and a 1 megohm resistor paraleled by a 330 pF cap to the output of the circuit and the 6BA6 connected as a reactance tube with 1 nF going to the grid and 27 pF to the plate.  The plate load was 18 K.  When the sound level decreases, the bias to the reactance tube decreases, causing the reactance tube to look like a larger capacitance from the output terminal to ground.  The load on the output was a 220 K resistor in parallel with a series R-C of 390 K and 5 nF.

This provides a gradual noise reduction that decreases the high-frequency hiss at low levels.  It operates linearly, so it does not act as a gate, which is an obvious distraction in the music.  You could implement the same circuitry with a transistor or op amp amplifier stage and a JFET or transconductance amp as the reactance device.