Noisy Cricket Amp with a boost built into it - Anyone done this?

Started by pedalcrazy, November 04, 2011, 07:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedalcrazy

I'm trying to combine my noisy cricket with an AMZ Mini Booster. I plugged my Mini Booster pedal into my Cricket and loved how it sounded. Then I thought it would be great to combine the two in the same box. I wired the boost in front of the Cricket with a DPDT switch to engage/bypass the boost to the amp. I used a DPDT so I could also have a boost LED indicator. In theory I thought this would be simple to do, but when I got it all wired up I just get lots of noise.

I removed the boost from the circuit to check and make sure my Cricket was working properly and it works fine. I must be wiring it wrong.

HOW I WIRED IT: I wired the input to the DPDT switch, which when off sends the input strait to the Cricket. When on, sends the input to the boost which then outputs to the Cricket. Essentially the Input and the boost both are wired to the amp with the switch bypassing to one or the other. I am also running both off of the same 9v power supply and both are grounded to the input jack.

I'm probably going about this the wrong way but it seemed to make sense in my head.

Anyone got any schematics on this or advice on how to execute properly?

newfish

Hmm...

Start simple...

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/

In your case, the 'Input Jack' would be your Cricket's input socket, the 'Output Jack' would be the start of the cricket's PCB / Vero.

Effect 'In' and 'Out' would be your AMZ Boost.

Without some 'loading' of your signal, you would need a 3PDT switch.

Further information on bypass switching can be found, as can a great deal of other useful stuff, on http://www.geofex.com/

Try 'The ins and out of Effects Bypassing'.

I hope you get your boost / amp working.  A decent booster is a great addition to pretty much any amplifier.

Cheers!

Ian.
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

pedalcrazy

Thanks newfish! This is exactly the info I needed. I think I'll go with the DPDT Millenium bypass circuit. This way I can still use the toggle switch and have the LED indicator.

Now I'm looking for a better tone circuit than the one on the cricket schematic. I just tried the BMP tone control but it doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe because I don't have any 4000pf caps and I tried it with a 4900pf.

Anyone have any suggestions on a better tone control for the cricket?