News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

YEAH! for datasheets!

Started by G. Hoffman, November 13, 2011, 11:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Hoffman

So, twice in the last couple of weeks, I've successfully fixed problems with PIC serial communication code that I'm writing by reading the datasheets.  I've looked in books and not found the problem.  I've looked in the Microchip forums, and not found the problems.  I've Googled the living daylights out of the issues, and found bupkis.  It was only on my third or fourth rereading of the datasheets that I found the problems.  One of them was only in the Errata, and was all of about two short paragraphs.

Now, I've read these datasheets before.  Multiple times.  They are dense and not at all user friendly, but apparently, the information IS in there.  Who knew?

Gabriel

MoltenVoltage

It's not always there.  I've found errors in microchip datasheets that were confirmed by tech support.  More often than not though, there is some little footnote somewhere that has your answer, but in an unrelated section.
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

G. Hoffman

Well, like I said, the SPI problem was in the Errata, so technically a separate document. 

The EUSART problem, though, was right there in the EUSART section.  I tried to make the thing send MIDI messages, on and off (mostly off) for about six months.  I modified programs from, like, three or four books/websites.  Then I started from scratch, doing the initialization step by step in exactly the order they have them in the book, and other than getting a bsf mixed up for a bcf, it worked perfectly.  I figured the books would be easier to understand, but in that case I was clearly wrong!

Gabriel

defaced

QuoteThey are dense and not at all user friendly, but apparently, the information IS in there.
Quoted for truth.  They have been, and still are, my biggest hurdle with programming their chips.  Iz no programmer or CS kid, and their data sheets aren't in plain English. 
-Mike