News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Delay pedals on batteries

Started by aettin, November 15, 2011, 09:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aettin

Hi there-
I'm looking for a really simple (3 knob?) delay pedal that will run the best/ longest on batteries. I know these circuits suck current, and so I wanted to find the one most suited to this use. I was advised to use the Arion SAD-1, but don't want to pay vintage prices, so I was thinking Behringer VD400? Carbon Copy? Does anyone have any estimate of the life I can expect from these pedals with a 9v? Other suggestions?

Really appreciate it folks.

DrBoogey

Hi Aettin

Why don't you look in the manual??? Usually there is given the current or power consumption.
I checked for you:
Behringer VD400 -> 65mA
MXR Carbon Copy -> 26mA
So, the MXR will run more than twice as long as the Behringer with the same batterie!

Cheers

R.G.

Also see the constructive and pertinent replies to the same post in the "building your own" forum.

:)
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

aettin

Thank you so much guys! Sorry, I posted it here, and then wasn't sure how to move it/ where the question was better served. Well I really appreciate your help.

DrBoogey, thank you for looking up the values for me. I didn't actually know how to calculate it. I know the Carbon Copy has a modulation portion to it. Will this affect the values indicated in the manual?

Cheers.

MetalGuy

I don't want to be rude but running ANY effect on batteries is just ridiculous. I never could understand that stupid standard to run effects on 9V batteries. Like if you have a power failure thy will save your gig...
That's why my sincere advice to you is: BUY A 9V ADAPTOR AND FORGET 9V BATTERIES EVEN EXIST!!!

AdamM

batteries are the lowest noise supply you will find - that's the best reason I can think of, apart from the fact they help avoid ground loops

adapters will introduce noise, level dependent on how well they are designed & built.

more noticable in high gain fx

DrBoogey

Quote from: aettin on November 16, 2011, 01:47:25 PM
I didn't actually know how to calculate it.

You don't have to calculate anything! More current = bad, less current = good! You know what current is?

Cheers

garcho

@metalguy

I'm not a rockstar, but I am a professional musician, and I love batteries. They're clean, take up almost no room (except for the extra area needed in the pedal enclosures) and do not add to the cable spaghetti spilling all over the floor (I do a lot flailing in some of the bands I'm in  ;)). Furthermore, if you're playing a festival or a venue with quick changeovers, the less things you need to plug in and out, the better. I bet you're a better guitarist than me and probably don't need any advice about gear, but wallwarts don't meet everyone's needs all the time.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

MetalGuy

I gave you this advice because not using batteries made my life much easier. If they work for you that's OK. Personally I don't miss them at all.
And by the way making a good noiseless FX power supply is not rocket science after all.