BMP Clipping section cap question

Started by bwanasonic, November 30, 2011, 10:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanasonic

I know I have read about this here before, but I couldn't turn up anything with a search: Do the caps in the clipping sections of the BMP go base > cap > diodes > collector, or base > diodes > cap > collector? Or does it matter? From what I understand about the function of the cap, it would seem the  the base > cap > diodes> collector config makes the most sense, and is what I have found at sites that seem to have the most first-hand knowledge of BMP specimens. I'm particularly concerned because I'm considering buying a prefab board and would like the most accurate layout as a starting point. I'm hoping it doesn't make a diff either way, because otherwise there is a pantload of wrong schems and boards "out there".

PRR

Just two 2-leg parts, in series: order does not matter.

The two diodes act as one bi-directional part.
  • SUPPORTER

nocentelli

Haha, I asked this a few months ago... The same goes for the input cap and resistor: order does not matter, and schematics with both arrangements abound.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

brett

Hi
you are probably aware that the size of the clipping cap is v important.
330 vs 470pF makes a big difference (330pF is "sharper, more treble"). Some people have tried 680pF, but in my opinion it makes BMPs sound fat and flat.
have fun
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

petemoore

Try staggered' or 'ramped' values ? ie cut less treble early / cut more treble later...or vice versa !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.