Building the tap tempo tremolo

Started by Taylor, April 19, 2010, 05:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricToad

Hi all, new here but very interested by this circuit, I expect I will be shot down for asking, but I'm really struggling to find the info.  Are the PCB and Chip still available for purchase anywhere? the MusicPCB site just says that it's out of stock, is it no longer being produced?

ElectricDruid

Taylor can pop up and tell you about the PCB, but the chip is certainly available. The PCB was originally designed for the TAPLFO2 chip, but the current TAPLFO3 works too. Details here:

https://electricdruid.net/product/taplfo3/

If the board's out of stock, I expect that's just the same supply chain issues that everyone's having. Things are taking ages at the moment, if you can get them at all.

Taylor

I ran out of the last batch of boards and haven't ordered more yet. I was thinking of doing a redesign for the new chip, but just have too much stuff going on to start a new project at the moment. Also in the decade since this project originally came out, there are so many other pedal PCB guys now that I figured somebody was already selling an updated version.

telebiker

Looks like a challenge for me... I'm really thinking to create a PCB for the updated version of the chip.
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

• SUPPORTER

ElectricToad

Thanks all, looks like time to buy a chip and start breadboarding!

dathey

Taylor

Got some more of these PCBs in stock for y'all. Here are ElectricDruid's instructions for using the newer chip on this board, if you'd like to:

1) Don't solder in the crystal or the two 22pF caps next to it. The new chip doesn't require a crystal.

2) Don't solder in the 10K on the tap tempo switch input (next to the 22pF caps you just ignored)

3) Don't solder in the 10K on the EXP switch input (furthest left of the three below where it says WAVE D|STORT). This is for the "Next Multiplier" switch, but this feature doesn't appear on the new chip.

In addition, there are two new features:

1) If you add a SPST toggle switch between the two pads for the 22pF cap connected to pin 3 (e.g. pin3 connected to ground), you can select a new set of waveforms.

2) If you have problems with ticking, you can ground pin6. This activates the waveform smoothing filter giving all waveforms a 20msec rise/fall time. This should help reduce ticking noises.