Would this O-Scope be useful for pedal debugging?

Started by BillyJ, October 04, 2003, 03:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyJ

http://www.elektor-electronics.co.uk/actions/gameboy/gameboy.htm

It looks nifty and is priced right if it will do me some good.
I still don't know squat about scopes but know I could benfit from learning to use one. I have been too lazy to build the stuff needed for a virtual scope. I have a gameboy aroundhere somehwere.
So would this be good???

Paul Marossy

I'm not exactly an expert on scopes, but it appears that it would be sufficient for typical audio type stuff. That's a pretty cool little gizmo.  8)

Rob Strand

Any oscilloscope is a useful piece of equipment to have - I'll admit I rarely use mine for audio stuff these days.

If you don't need need a high-end unit you can use your sound card/PC - see the recent thread regarding PC/sound-card based oscilloscopes.

It's an interesting idea but the cost looks a little high for what it is. Also, there's not a lot detailed specs there to judge it properly.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Andy

That's neat!  How much is that in US dollars?
Andy

zachary vex

about $150.  hard to say if it's a good or bad deal... depends on the resolution.  the price of a gameboy advance plus the unit might be close to the price of a low-cost handheld scope (check mouser catalog for prices) and the real scope might have better resolution, but there is the added coolness factor of having such a small unit that runs on only two aa batteries for quite a few hours (my fluke 123 scope only runs for 40 minutes on a charge and it's very bulky compared to a gameboy, but has excellent resolution and features.  but then again it's $1100.)