schematic to parts layout (dunlop bass wah)

Started by Danny G, November 30, 2010, 08:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

Hey all, long time no see.

Have the schematic for the Dunlop Bass Wah, want to build my own since they keep breaking on me. However am rather retarded at turning a schematic into a functional parts layout. Would any of you be so kind as to direct me to a program or something to translate, or if one of you have the parts layout diagram for the circuit, I'd be much obliged.

Here's the only schem I could find, courtesy FuzzCentral.com

Earthscum

So you're just looking for a PCB layout? Or a perfboard layout? (which you can pretty much use to duplicate a PCB etched trace layout)

If so, try one of the sites like Madbeans or General Guitar Gadgets.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

senko

This might not be helpful, but I learned how to build circuits using those Radioshack prototype boards with the rails down the middle.  If you've got breadboard skills, it's pretty much the same procedure with permanent connections.

Honestly, I can not tell you how many times I have been burned by schematics online that were missing a connection or were flat out wrong.  Breadboarding will save you from a frustration headache and you'll probably learn something along the way that'll make this process easier in the future.  So, breadboard, test and confirm the schematic, then put it on those general purpose protoboards.  Once you get that down, you can start etching your own boards after doing some clever one-sided layout work in Eagle and using the toner transfer method. 
Check out my webpage http://www.diyaudiocircuits.com and send me suggestions about what you want to see!  I do all sorts of things with audio equipment, from guitar pedals to circuitbending to analog synthesizers.

PRR

You have a halfway done layout: the schematic!

Good schematics tend to already have good signal-flow layout.

And a build which looks a lot like the schematic saves a lot of puzzle in building and debugging.

Print it on thin paper. Poke parts into it as indicated. This may go better on a desk with a foam pad.

After a few parts you may see that you want to print it smaller. Actually, since parts are different sizes, you want some areas a little smaller and some can be a lot smaller. Other parts like batt jax pots have to hang-off. For a first try, just get a loose fit, nothing too tight to get in.

You could be clever and put bare perfboard behind, then it could be mechanically robust. Or you could trial-fit on limp paper, and use that as reference for a re-do on board.

Then connect the part leads like the schematic lines indicate.
  • SUPPORTER