DIY PCB QUESTIONS

Started by endorphin, December 19, 2011, 05:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

endorphin

I got some questions I've been looking at the Univibe In A Crybaby Shell at Geofex and I would really like to have one but I dont know how to etch nor have the cash to buy the stuff and start right now, so I heard before that you can get some layouts sent to companies who make the board for you. Does anyone know about this or does it themselves???
60% of the time it works everytime...

J0K3RX

I know some PCB companies will do samples (a couple of boards) for potential customers but I have never tried that... It really is easy and doesn't cost hardly anything...
Check this link, it has a good tutorial...
http://www.riccibitti.com/pcb/pcb.htm

I bought some glossy photo paper and found that it works VERY good... But, I have used magazine paper also and it works good as well..
I guess the biggest thing is that you have a laser printer.. If you don't have that then you are outa luck unless you use a sharpie lol 

Good luck..!
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

nomorebetts

You could always follow the PCB layout and replicate it using perf board.
I like Big Muffs! and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny...

smallbearelec

Quote from: nomorebetts on December 19, 2011, 10:48:14 PM
You could always follow the PCB layout and replicate it using perf board.

That would be a godawfully difficult job, even for an experienced perfboard builder. I think a better way to approach this would be to have J D Sleep (who already offers the regular Univibe board at generalguitargadgets.com) ask R. G. Keen for permission to get made the swell pedal version. I will drop a line to J D and see if I can begin to make it happen. If it works out, I will make sure that the Small Bear Stock List has all of the odd bits and pieces needed and do a spreadsheet with SKU numbers.

Regards
SD

chi_boy

There are also people on the board that will make them for you for a reasonable fee.  John Lyons is a notable choice and is well respected.  I'm sure there are others too, but I have only dealt with John.  You might try posting in the for sale area to request the service.

There is also http://www.guitarpcb.com/.  They make nice quality boards too and offer the service to make customs also.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

egasimus

As always, it's a tradeoff between time and money, and etching at home is likely to be much cheaper than ordering boards. Beside PCB and etchant, all you need is glossy paper, access to a laser printer, and a clothes iron.

You don't even have to etch in Ferric Chloride - I make my etchant from HCl (muriatic acid, pool acid, sold in hardware stores) and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide, found in pharmacies). I use 3% peroxide, and mix my etchant in a ratio of 1:2 (HCl to H2O2); adjust to scale if you get some other concentration of chemicals.

Both FeCl and HCl/H2O2 need to be quite warm to work. You could put the etchant and board in a sealed container, and plop that in a larger container full of hot water. Or, my favourite useless trick, stirring with the air flow from a hot air gun.