Author Topic: No Sound... Not in Bypass and not at all  (Read 19458 times)

Ofek Deitch

Re: No Sound... Not in Bypass and not at all
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 04:20:24 PM »
Thank you! Now I understand :)

I'll give it a try.
be right back...  ;D

earthtonesaudio

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 04:36:18 PM »
From the pictures I'm actually inclined to think the output wire between board and switch is the culprit.  The - leg of the output cap is awfully close to that ground bus.

Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong cap.  Don't see a short on the circuit board.  Measure again, this time with the switch set to "effect on".  That ought to isolate the short to one side versus the other.

Don't mean to interrupt any testing in progress, but I just wanted to clarify this for you.  By this I mean to flip the switch into the non-bypass position, then measure resistances between the cable (input and output) tip and ground, tip and capacitor, as well as the resistance between sleeves and ground.

When you were measuring resistances in the bypass mode, the jumper wire on the 3pdt switch connected your input cable tip to your output cable tip, making it difficult to determine which side was shorted to ground.  With the switch in effect mode, the circuit breaks the connection between the input and output cable tips, so you can then figure out which side is shorted to ground.

earthtonesaudio

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 05:20:03 PM »
Hm... I should have told you to measure the resistances with the power off.  Looking closer at your solder side photo, the input wire is a little bit close to the V+ (red) pads, and there is some questionable solder splash there.  DC resistance between V+ and Ground will be quite low but it's not healthy for the meter to measure resistances that have current flowing through them.

A good quick check would be to measure the DC voltage on the input cable tip.  Ideally it will be zero volts DC.  It might be a few millivolts, that's pretty normal.  But if it's 9V then you have a solder bridge between the input wire and 9V.

Ofek Deitch

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »
Lots of thanks for your help everyone!
But even with your greatly appreciated help I still don't know how to fix my circuit. I barely understand even what the problem is. Alex, you keep telling me to measure here and there and now I'm totally confused, and don't know what to do...   :-\

Can anybody suggest a really simple way to find what my problem is and explain it to me again and how to fix it?

Thanks again everybody!!!!!! ;D
Ofek Deitch :)

arma61

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »

Try the easy way, or the way I'd do (and I've done  :icon_mrgreen: )

leave out the switch
leave out the jacks
connect + to the board
connect - to the boards and to other 2 spare wires
using a pencil make a ring on your 2 spare gnd wires an put these rings directly on the barrel of the cable coming form the guitar and on the barrel of the cable going to the amp.
do the same rings for you input and output wire and put them on the tips of the above cables
(optional, though recommended,  fix the rings with some electrical tape so they don't move)
connect yout battery/adaptor to + and - goind to the board

so now we know if the circtuit itself is working..... then slowly slowly and one at the time we can add jacks and switch.

good luck

ciao
Armando

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

Ofek Deitch

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2011, 03:49:57 PM »
It works!!!!
Thanks Armando!! ;D

So now after I know the circuit works what am I supposed to connect first? Input jack\Output jack\switch?

Thanks Again!  :D

arma61

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2011, 05:09:30 PM »

tada!!! great, at least you've done a good job with the board!! 90% is done!!

I'd start with the output jack, easy.... just two wires.... 2 lugs out of 3 to be choosen, not so many chance to get it wrong, isn't it?  :D

then the input jack...

once both jacks are ok and working, enjoy your creature for a while, this is very important so you relax and think about something else  :D  :D  :D

then the switch, may be a little hard..... but you are starting from a good base..... your effects is working!!

ciao

ps. have you any alligator clips ?

they could be usefull for testing the switch with 1 resistor and A LED.

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

Ofek Deitch

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2011, 05:33:58 PM »
A second ago, the boost worked great, but now I get nothing most of the time, and once in a while I get a moment of guitar sound, and then nothing.
What do you thing is the problem?

here are some pics: (And I know the board looks horrible... I've made so many mistakes... ;D)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:00:18 AM by Ofek Deitch »

Ofek Deitch

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2011, 01:28:23 AM »
I think I found the problem! :)
It's the 5K pot, normally, there's no sound at all, but when I softly tap (like really barely touching it) the sound comes back and sounds awesome!
Do you think the pot is broken? If yes, will a 10K pot will be good for replacing it?
If not, what do you think is the problem here?
Thanks!!! ;D

Ofek Deitch

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
?

CurtisWCole

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »
You can use a 10k pot and solder a 10k resistor across lugs 1 and 3 to make a near 5k.
Hope that helps.

Best of luck.

Curtis
Composers shouldn't think too much - it interferes with their plagiarism.
Howard Dietz

arma61

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2011, 07:56:34 AM »

Do you think the pot is broken? If yes, will a 10K pot will be good for replacing it?

Yes, for testing purpose is ok, a little bit hard to use ....but just turn it from 0 to half of the knob travel slowly ;)

Ciao

earthtonesaudio

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2011, 05:58:49 PM »
Wow, faulty component!  It is somewhat rare for that to be the problem, but it does happen.  Sorry you had to debug such a thing, but I am glad you got it working!