Ludwig Phase II Clone Debugging and Miscellany

Started by R.G., December 18, 2011, 09:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theehman

Quote from: UKToecutter on December 30, 2011, 05:27:16 PM
R18, 120k 0.25W missing from BOM

I had R18 written on my sheet but I forgot why I wrote it there.  Thanks for reminding me.

PCB:  holes for 1N4004 are too small.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

UKToecutter

1N4004's must vary on lead diameter.
Mine went in but they were a bit 'tight'
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

theehman

Might be a good idea to mount the trimpots on the bottom of the console PCB.  It would make tuning possible without dismantling the pedal.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

UKToecutter

ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

Seven64

just got my boards today and gonna get started on it really soon.  wondering if its possible to use the m-audio expression pedal (ex-p) for the manual control.  they are about $30 on ebay, and was thinking it looked better than wasting a wah enclosure.

R.G.

The PCB issues have been corrected on the layout for the next version.

I'll update BOM with QF+1.

Quote from: Seven64 on December 30, 2011, 08:22:20 PM
wondering if its possible to use the m-audio expression pedal (ex-p) for the manual control.  they are about $30 on ebay, and was thinking it looked better than wasting a wah enclosure.
Any rocker that has a 5K linear pot, or can be modified to do that will work. I don't know what pot value is in the M-audio exppedal. Pretty much any linear pot value can be used with the buffer circuit as mentioned earlier.

I'm inserting a collected errata page on the instructions for this board set, which I dub "the UK Boards".

Trimpots can go on the bottom for access.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Seven64

nice.  if anyone doesnt get it by the time i get around to it ill pioneer up that one, as its only $30 which is generally cheaper then i can find a wah for.  and it already has the cable as well ;)

im excited to get started on this one.  except i dont have room on my board for it....

R.G.

On the issue of using expression pedals with the Ludwig clone: I found this listing of expression pedal pot values by sonda01 on Harmony Central.

QuoteRoland RV-5 - 10k linear
Line6 EX-1 - 10k linear
Mission EP-L6 - 10k linear
Moog EP-2 - 50k linear (reducable)
M-Audio EX-P - 10k linear
Korg EXP-2 - 50k linear
Boss EV-5 - 10k linear
Boss EV-7 - 10k linear ("extra range" pot adds up to 50k ohms)
Boss FV-50L - 50k linear
Proel Volume Pedal - 100k linear
TC Electronic X1 - 25k log
Ernie Ball VP jr. (active) - 25k log
Ernie Ball VP jr. (passive) - 250k log
Kurzweil CC-1 - 20k linear
Pigtronix EP-1 - 20k
Bespeco VM18L - 20k

None of them are 5K linear. However, the 10K's might work as is with some tweaking. All of them would work (although weirdly for log pots) with the buffer circuit, I think.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

UKToecutter

"I'm inserting a collected errata page on the instructions for this board set, which I dub "the UK Boards".

R.G.

It's a good thing that I'm not sensitive........

:-)

Andy
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

R.G.

AWK! Sorry. It's true what they say, us engineers are clueless about people.  :icon_biggrin:

I hereby un-dub them and re-dub them "R.G.'s Second Attempt".   :icon_lol:
R.G.

UKToecutter

I vote for a blue solder mask on the next batch!!!
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

R.G.

R.G.

UKToecutter

You know, one of the great things about this build is that there are very few 'special' components required.
Apart from the switches and the trim pots most of the components came out of my stock bins.
Even the 2N5551's and the 2N5401 are soooo cheap that I bought 100 each at about £7.00 total.

Great work with the layout RG and total respect to Keppy, Dino and PinkJim for getting it off the ground.
My boards are stuffed, I've centre punched my case and now I have to wait for mouser to get the 3PDT switches into stock.

What we need now is a 'son of Phase II' to bring it right up to modern standards.

Andy
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

R.G.

Adding transistor pin voltages to the buildit manual.

...oops, did I say "manual"??   :icon_eek:
R.G.

UKToecutter

ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

R.G.

R.G.

Keppy

Quote from: Seven64 on December 31, 2011, 12:31:12 AM
nice.  if anyone doesnt get it by the time i get around to it ill pioneer up that one, as its only $30 which is generally cheaper then i can find a wah for.  and it already has the cable as well ;)
Stereo cable? Don't forget, this one needs three conductors!
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

Ry

UKToecutter

R.G. 
What forward voltage and working current have you assumed for the LED's?
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

R.G.

I think I guessed at about 2V, although with 40V+/- to play with, it's almost immaterial.  I didn't want to load the regulated 35V, so I just glommed on lots of resistor in series and used several 1/4W's to get the power dissipation that causes. The suggested supply is way underused for power, so I just wasted it in resistors.

Call it 46V/8.1K = 5.6ma per LED, about.
R.G.