[debug] Pearl Octaver (madbean version)

Started by elenore19, December 20, 2011, 03:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elenore19

I lost my voltage measurements, but maybe someone can have some ideas of what to do.
Problem:
Signal makes it through the board and everything. Only the octaves don't work.

The clean pot does exactly what it's supposed to do.

The lower octaves don't add octaves. Just add more bass response/low-end.

The upper octave sort of works? I can't really hear any octaves, but when all the other pots are turned "off" the upper octave pot keeps the signal barely coming through when it's "on" and there's nothing when the pot is "off."
Possibilities
Could frying the 1n34a diodes cause this problem? I soldered them pretty quick, and it's a possibility. Is there a way to test whether they're functional or not?
Also-I used 12k resistors in place of all the 10k resistors (it was the closest replacement I had and figured it wouldn't be a problem..)Would that cause this?
Things I've tried
I have 2 versions of this- one works, one doesn't.
I have the IC's socketed in both--I switched the Ic's all around in both versions to check them, and both versions worked just as they did (one worked and one didn't).

I've tried different transistors. Still same problem.

Any ideas? I'll post my voltages as soon as I find them. They're in a notebook that I lost..but I should have them in a couple days.

Thanks in advance.

-Elliot

PRR

> I have 2 versions of this- one works, one doesn't.

Put them side-by-side on the bench. Compare voltages one to the other. Any differences may be "clues".
  • SUPPORTER

elenore19

Quote from: PRR on December 20, 2011, 05:01:25 PM
> I have 2 versions of this- one works, one doesn't.

Put them side-by-side on the bench. Compare voltages one to the other. Any differences may be "clues".

Oh right, nice. Good idea. Thanks! Not sure why I haven't thought of that.

Brainbender

I have a same problem and i need help to... :/