MN3007 version eh clone theory...

Started by pinkjimiphoton, December 21, 2011, 02:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

has anyone actually built one of these?

i've been thinking about building one of these for quite a while, i REALLY regret selling my original one...

i can get the chips locally for about 10 bux, i'm assuming the sad1024 is hard to find and/or very pricey.

little help would be appreciated, thanks!!
peace

jimi
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Mark Hammer

I haven't, but it isn't terribly different from a 3007-based Small Clone with mods.

The Small Clone will run off a 9v battery.  The Clone Theory wants a 15vdc supply, and uses a transformer to do that, but there isn't anything particularly different about the LFO, clocking circuit or audio path that would demand enough current that a transformer is a must.  It may be sufficient to run it off a 9v, or perhaps a pair of 9v batteries feeding a 12v regulator to provide a stable bias voltage.

pinkjimiphoton

thanks mark.
the clone theory sounds a bit different than the small clone...the big thing is i hate to invest a bunch of cash i can't afford (there's that GAS again...ahem!!) into something that may not work out.

but i appreciate the response! i found a verified version on vero in the gallery, will probably run it off a charge pump so i can run it off my pedalboard's power supply.
working up a BOM now to see if i can afford the parts from mouser...i traded my original in at daddy's junky years ago to help a neighbor get her kid his first guitar, figuring i'd pick it up the next day when i got paid...

but it was gone literally seconds after hitting the listing in their database. live and learn.

i THINK at this point i am up for it...the mn3007 is the original version, so hopefully will all work out.

hey, if i don't cross paths with ya before then, happy holidays my friend!!
peace
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Mark Hammer

pinkjimiphoton

thanks man...

just finishing a mouser order...dear god, the humanity....

WAYYYYYYYY too many parts!!  :icon_mrgreen:

and of course, an mn3007?

FUHGEDDABOUTIT!!

gotta go with an nte "replacement"....nte1641, let's hope the pinouts match!! lol
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Mark Hammer

Not to worry.  They do.  I believe I used one on the CE-2 clone I "accidentally" sold for $5 (long story, involving a mistaken confusion between two charity auctions).

pinkjimiphoton

ahhhh....cool!!

but...i said screw it, and bought a 12 pack on ebay for less than the nte would have cost me!
;)

ordered all my parts...with a bit of luck, i should have everything here in the next week or so so i can start building it! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

gigimarga

Hello Jim,

I've just finished a clone of Clone Theory using the layout of Paul Nelson (thank you a lot Paul for all your projects!): http://sites.google.com/site/electroconducive/ehxclonetheory.
It sounds amazing and I like it a lot. I didn't try any of the suggested mods by Paul because it's not clear for me which are tested.

I tweaked the trimpots by ear, but I am curious if there is a more scientific method to do that :)

Best regards,
Radu

pinkjimiphoton

thanks guys for the headsup...cathexis, i'm using your vero layout, so that's great to hear!!!

was my favorite box, the first one i ever bought myself....nust have been 77 or 78 or so.

i'll be implementing some tweaks probably, radu, maybe pauls, maybe my own.

there was one peculiar setting on it, where if ya got it JUST RIGHT on the flange/vibe-chor/vibe switch in the middle, it sounded completely different...i used to think it had both effects on, but now i suspect it actually kills them.

whatever, i can't wait to build this thing!!!

thanks guys!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

gigimarga

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

hey guys,
i re-did cathexis's vero layout...no changes really, tho a couple of part numbers may be off, i included a bom with the components as relevant to my layout. i was having a real problem trying to see Cathexis's original layout, cuz my eyes are buggy..i mean absolutely no disrespect by re-rendering it here!!  :icon_mrgreen:

parts are ordered, be starting on it soon 

to make it as easy as possible for such a component-heavy project, i made 3 boards....one from the strip side showing all the cuts:

one the same, but as seen THRU the board (from the component side)

and finally, the actual layout, which i've checked over and over til my eyes melted...

i believe these are all good, someone with a better set of eyes would be welcome to check!!!!!! for sure!!!

but i think it's right...towards the right of the board in particular, the nomenclature of the parts order may be slightly different from c's, but
all the parts and their locations should be good.

finally, a BOM of the whole thing:

Project: clone theory components

C1: 1uF
C2: 470uF
C3: 3.3nF
C4: .022uF
C5: .27uF
C6: 1uF
C7: 0.1uF
C8: .022pF
C9: .22uF
C10: 0.1uF
C11: 27pF
C12: .022uF
C13: 0.1uF
C14: 1uF
C15: .22uF
C16: 680pF
C17: 680pF
C18: 680pF
C19: 0.15uF
C20: 680pF
C21: 1uF
C22: 2.2nF
C23: 1uF
C24: 1uF
C25: 4.7uF
C26: 1uF
C27: 1uF
C28: 0.15uF
C29: .1uF
C30: 620pF
C31: .1uF
C32: 4.7uF
C33: 4.7uF

10k lin CH/VIB
100k lin DEPTH
1m reverse log RATE

D1: 1n4001

IC1: dual opamp
IC2: dual opamp
IC3: dual opamp
IC4: mn3007
IC5: CD4047

Q1: lm785
Q2: 2n4302/2n5458

TR1: 100K
TR2: 100K
TR3: 100K

R1: 82K
R2: 82K
R3: 12K
R4: 12K
R5: 51K
R6: 200K
R7: 68K
R8: 1M
R9: 100K
R10: 300K
R11: 100K
R12: 200K
R13: 10K
R14: 390K
R15: 300K
R16: 100K
R17: 6.8K
R18: 100K
R19: 100kR
R20: 100K
R21: 120K
R22: 2.4K
R23: 51K
R24: 150K
R25: 330R
R26: 51K
R27: 2.4 (2.2)K
R28: 51K
R29: 62K
R30: 330K
R31: 22K
R32: 150K
R33: 150K
R34: 100K
R35: 1M
R36: 100K
R37: 1.1K
R38: 330R
R39: 1.1K
R40: 2.2M
R41: 200K
R42: 1M

again, will be building this as soon as the stuff arrives, and if anyone wants to take the plunge with me, i hope you find this useful.
thanks to topopiccione, cathexis, amd everyone else involved...

blessings!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

found a mistake...no trace cut at strip w hole 3...my bad, will update the pics as soon as possible..
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

board done and populated...just waiting for the bbd chip to come in...this is one heck of  a densely popped board...man...alot of soldering...

also found one other mistake on my vero SO DON'T BUILD FROM MINE YET...USE CATHEXIS'S!!!

pics to come later today if i get a chance.

hoping it all works when i finally button it up...this is the most complex build i've tried yet i think.

stay tuned!  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

cathexis

Good job on the layout! I started drawing mine by hand just because the layout program got really slow with big layouts, and because I could do them away from a computer. I never tried anything that big in the layout program - looks great!

pinkjimiphoton

thanks bro, it's YOUR layout, i just copied it. there is a mistake or two on it tho, i have to upload corrected versions as soon as i get a chance.
i'm waiting on one 10k pot, and the mn3007....and then it's time to fire it up!!

i can't wait.

did you use a charge pump on yours, or do you use a 15v transformer?

i bought a wall wart for it, hoping that'll do the trick. i'll post a couple pics of it so far in a minute.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

cathexis

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on December 29, 2011, 09:44:43 PM
did you use a charge pump on yours, or do you use a 15v transformer?

I used an 18v transformer with a 15v regulator on board, that worked nicely. I did the same thing on my ADA flanger - which I think you should build as well, since you seem to be man enough to take on monster vero layouts :) :) That one is my all time favourite modulation pedal, it does pretty much everything and it does it beautifully. Check out the layout and some soundclips in my gallery...
LARS

pinkjimiphoton

lol...man enough? it took me ten years to get the baalz up to tackle this!!

thanks for the transformer info...seems  i should be ok with the 15v one i ordered then hopefully...be a laugh if i had to step it up!

have a great new years lars, thanks for YOU being man enough to tackle this project...and showing the way! :thu:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr