custom drilling service?

Started by mordechai, December 25, 2011, 09:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mordechai

I have some enclosures that I've tried drilling myself, but I'm very sloppy and unsatisfied with the results.  I am wondering if anyone knows of a service where I can send them my undrilled enclosures and instructions for drilling them, and they can do the drilling for me with professional-grade precision.   I don't want to go with Pedal Parts Plus because I have to order the enclosures from them as well, and I currently have several undrilled enclosures already.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

HOTTUBES

I have thought about making up a few templates for the standard size pedals that you just tape in place , and drill !!
1590B , 1590BB  etc etc ....

DavenPaget

A drill press / drill stand is essential and a drill template goes along smoothly .
Hiatus

bsmcc2010

i just use a standard hand held power drill and get perfect holes every time.

Draw a mock design on a computer with black circles where each hole needs to go. You can label the sizes if you like, or just remember them.

Print it, cut it out, stick it to the enclosure with masking tape. Works best if you use the thick stuff over the top of the paper cut out. You can still see through the tape easily.

Clamp it into a vice, i use on that is detachable and clamp it to an outdoors bench in my garden.

Start with a centre punch and hammer, and put a small dent in the centre of each black circle on your paper cut out.

Drill a pilot hole where each of the dents is. I use a 2mm drill bit.

Gradually work up drill sizes, e.g.: for a 3PDT switch you need a 12mm hole. So  might go from the pilot hole, to a 4mm, to an 8mm, to a 12mm.

I get perfectly round holes every time, the only problem is you have to be precise with where you use the centre punch, otherwise the hole will be off slightly.

DavenPaget

Quote from: bsmcc2010 on December 26, 2011, 09:02:34 AM
i just use a standard hand held power drill and get perfect holes every time.

Draw a mock design on a computer with black circles where each hole needs to go. You can label the sizes if you like, or just remember them.

Print it, cut it out, stick it to the enclosure with masking tape. Works best if you use the thick stuff over the top of the paper cut out. You can still see through the tape easily.

Clamp it into a vice, i use on that is detachable and clamp it to an outdoors bench in my garden.

Start with a centre punch and hammer, and put a small dent in the centre of each black circle on your paper cut out.

Drill a pilot hole where each of the dents is. I use a 2mm drill bit.

Gradually work up drill sizes, e.g.: for a 3PDT switch you need a 12mm hole. So  might go from the pilot hole, to a 4mm, to an 8mm, to a 12mm.

I get perfectly round holes every time, the only problem is you have to be precise with where you use the centre punch, otherwise the hole will be off slightly.
Where is zey "like" button ? Now i really have to get a power drill ! I only have a 18v cordless drill that i cannot mount on my stand , and a not sure what sort of drill , but definitely isn't a standard power drill since it drills through walls FAST ! ( seems to have a hammer/normal mode ) I bet it's a rotary hammer . In any case , NOTED !
Hiatus

bsmcc2010

The cordless ones should work fine-i've use one before and it actually works better than my own drill.

Although my drill only has one speed-fast-it's generally better on a slower speed. Keeps your bits in better condition too.

DavenPaget

Quote from: bsmcc2010 on December 26, 2011, 09:23:22 AM
The cordless ones should work fine-i've use one before and it actually works better than my own drill.

Although my drill only has one speed-fast-it's generally better on a slower speed. Keeps your bits in better condition too.
I'm getting a unibit but i don't want to go through the agony of using a slow but torquey cordless ! I haven't really got any daring-ness to push through steel !
Meh , my cordless can't go on the drill stand i bought :( Oh well , i'll try my hammer drill instead .
http://www.toolcobber.com/ Is a good reference site .
Hiatus

Meanderthal

Cordless work fine with a unibit. Really! The enclosures we use are pretty easy to drill. It only becomes an issue when you use steel enclosures, but even then it's not too bad. A press helps, but isn't necessary. Careful planning helps much more. If you have a press and drill the hole in the wrong place, well....
I am not responsible for your imagination.

electrosonic

I prefer

Center punch -> small pilot hole -> final hole size.

I think if I drill intermediate holes to work up to the final size, the location of the hole will drift.

I use a paper template stuck to the enclosure with double sided tape.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

DavenPaget

Quote from: Meanderthal on December 26, 2011, 06:03:02 PM
Cordless work fine with a unibit. Really! The enclosures we use are pretty easy to drill. It only becomes an issue when you use steel enclosures, but even then it's not too bad. A press helps, but isn't necessary. Careful planning helps much more. If you have a press and drill the hole in the wrong place, well....
I see , i forgot low speed is key . Set me thinking about the array of accessories i bought for my dremel 200 clone .
A cut off wheel , grinding stone , rotary drum sander , nylon brush ,  buffing wheel is all someone needs to cut a rectangular hole using a dremel .
Hiatus

deadastronaut

Quote from: electrosonic on December 26, 2011, 06:14:13 PM
I prefer

Center punch -> small pilot hole -> final hole size.

I think if I drill intermediate holes to work up to the final size, the location of the hole will drift.

I use a paper template stuck to the enclosure with double sided tape.

Andrew.

me too...(plan,print,inkscape)  centre punch , 2mm holes all round....then bigger holes...perfect every time....hand drilled on a piece of wood on the floor with my foot holding it... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

HOTTUBES

As mentioned above , a small stand up drill press , or even a table top unit , along with the use of sharp
drill bits , can help make things a little neater looking in the end . I also pre-drill using a smaller size bit , i
find this to be useful imo ....

garcho

Unless you have a shrapnel fetish, don't press too hard. Speed and pressure also affect how much deburring you'll have to do. The first place I look to answer my questions about tools and such is Small Bear's stock list and how-to tips. WWSD? And careful with those feet!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Keppy

Paper template, center punch, cordless, pilot hole, Unibit. The steps in the Unibit give me a chance to adjust when I get off-center.

This does take practice. My last few enclosures have been drilled beautifully, after a series of decreasingly flawed ones.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley