Modifications for Bass/Good Intermediate Bass Pedal Builds

Started by Hendrixisgod, August 25, 2010, 10:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hendrixisgod

Alright well I've been recruited by a friend to make a fuzz/distortion pedal for bass, and I'm psyched. First I'll start off with what I DO know: I can create tone controls based on the frequencies and I know how to calculate that and do all the math so I could easily adapt to bass pedals (I have the frequencies I need). Other than this what considerations do I need to take when designing a bass pedal? For instance, what won't work on a bass pedal that normally works on an effects pedal? Not sure if this is true but I heard something about the input and output caps for blocking dc voltage needing different values?
Also, if anyone has any good intermediate bass distortion or fuzz builds, hit me up with the schematic!

Hendrixisgod

Alright I was looking around at some bandpass filters and I realized that I'm now unsure about it. If I'm using a simple one resistor one cap low pass and separate high pass filter, how do I calculate the frequency for roll off? I heard it was 1/2•pi•r•c? Is that right? Also if that's correct (or if it's not) what frequency would I want the lows to start rolling off at for bass (as well as for guitar)? Same goes for the highs, what frequency for both bass and guitar should they start being rolled off at?

mrslunk

almost any effect that works on guitar, will work on bass.
However, generally, guitar effects roll off bass before the distortion stages and roll of treble after
so HPF->dist->LPF.
guitar effects that sound bad on bass for 2 reasons:
1. the cut too much bass feeding into the gain stages, this causes the sound to be thin.
2. the don't cut enough bass (or none at all) before gain stages, causing the sound to be muddy.

my 2c.:
start with a russian big muff pi (see the schematics section of this forum).
Many bassists find the russian BMP all they are looking for as far as fuzz goes.
Then tweak untl you're happy.

If you're really keen, add a clean blend.
Then, enjoy

pedalgrinder

i believe this what i have tried and works and iam a bass player. open up the pedal so it responds to all frequencys hitting distortion stage. and i run a seperate pedal that is a variable high pass filter cause having it set doesn't work for all music styles and tastes. Some songs need a dash more bottom end and others sound better with all the mud gone. So a variable high pass filter from 20hz to 200hz is the go then you have the best of all worlds.