Phenolic paper vs FR-4

Started by alparent, January 03, 2012, 10:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alparent

I know, i know you should use the FR-4 boards......and stay away from Phenolic paper.........but why?

I read they are easeyer on tools. You can get them cheaper.

Is the adhesion on the cooper on them less resistant? Why should I keep away from them?

Anybody using them? (And would like to defend them?)

My FR-4 clad stock is running out......so I was just wondering?

R.G.

Phenolic-paper is probably just fine for effects. In fact, it's what's in a huge number of vintage effects.

As compared to glass-epoxy, phenolic-paper is:
- easier to cut, drill, shape, etc.
- mechanically weaker; note that the last statement and this one are the same thing
- less wearing on tools because it does not have abrasive glass fibers in it
- more prone to environmental degradation and chemical attack; which probably doesn't matter in effects
- breaks down at lower temperatures than glass-epoxy, which also probably doesn't matter in effects
- has less adhesion for copper cladding, as you suspected; this *does* matter inversely to your soldering skill

My view is - if you want to use it and your soldering skill is up to it, do it. I had a panel of epoxy-linen copper clad once. It could literally be cut and shaped with scissors in 0.062" thicknesses. Drilled like butter. Nice stuff. I kinda miss it.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

defaced

Quote- less wearing on tools because it does not have abrasive glass fibers in it
To add to R.G.'s post, the mitigation for tool wear when working with FR4 is to use tools designed for abrasive materials.  Namely, use carbide, diamond tipped, or abrasive tools.  For a cost effective DIY setup, this typically means a drill press with carbide bits (carbide is not very ductile, so the bit will snap if loaded off axis, hence the drill press), a Dremel with a cut off wheel (abrasive blade, use of respiratory protection is a good idea), or if you're big time and do alot of boards, a wet saw (which by default has a diamond blade).  Though if you've been working with FR4, you probably either already know this, or see an excuse to buy more tools and have already left with your card in hand to go buy some  :icon_biggrin:
-Mike