TO-92 JFETs - many being discontinued?

Started by culturejam, January 06, 2012, 11:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacktheRiffer

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 07, 2012, 03:14:09 PM
Quote from: DavenPaget on February 07, 2012, 03:04:56 PM
And i have my stuff really small .

::)

That could work or you could loop wire around the legs then solder so its lassoed in place?

Seven64

instead of the thru hole board you should just make a board like the sip8 to dip8 adaptors with the legs on them.

also, just ordered 100 5457's off of ebay, gonna stock up on a few more too with the next paycheck

DavenPaget

Quote from: Seven64 on February 08, 2012, 01:28:11 AM
instead of the thru hole board you should just make a board like the sip8 to dip8 adaptors with the legs on them.

also, just ordered 100 5457's off of ebay, gonna stock up on a few more too with the next paycheck

I order from element14 , cheap and lots of stock left . Ebay is a scam .
Oh and adaptors are pointless , expensive and useless .
Want SMD , go smd .
Hiatus

beans_amps

Central Semiconductor and InterFet will continue to offer several TO-92 and even TO-18 types for a while yet, at ruinous prices.  InterFet was a wafer fab foundry for several of Fairchild (or maybe Vishay/Siliconix) JFETS over the last few years.  I am not sure about distribution or order quantities at this time.

Fairchild announced intention to obsolete these parts about two years ago.  Not sure about Vishay/Siliconix. 

This whole thing makes me look at Siliconix's "Designing with Feild Effect Transistors" and think they are traitors.   ???

Sean
Don't Despair - Call Bean's Amp Repair

liquids

My question with all of the through-hole components becoming harder and harder to find is, even if I do learn to work with and solder SMD, how does one ever breadboard with that stuff!?  Without being able to breadboard, I can't really see tinkering with electronics, personally.  

Should this really be a concern after all?  Do hobbist shops like smallbear and jameco demonstrate the small market of hobbyists, and hence we can expect parts to be available and made by someone somewhere willing to make small-scale dollars?    

I try not to worry about the future, but I do, and I also think I may as well start moving to SMD myself if it's inevitable...stocking up on lifetime supplies of through-hole parts so I can continue to work on electronics seems futile and pathetic, and sad either way.
Breadboard it!

WGTP

Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

DavenPaget

Quote from: liquids on February 14, 2012, 03:29:11 PM
My question with all of the through-hole components becoming harder and harder to find is, even if I do learn to work with and solder SMD, how does one ever breadboard with that stuff!?  Without being able to breadboard, I can't really see tinkering with electronics, personally.  

Should this really be a concern after all?  Do hobbist shops like smallbear and jameco demonstrate the small market of hobbyists, and hence we can expect parts to be available and made by someone somewhere willing to make small-scale dollars?    

I try not to worry about the future, but I do, and I also think I may as well start moving to SMD myself if it's inevitable...stocking up on lifetime supplies of through-hole parts so I can continue to work on electronics seems futile and pathetic, and sad either way.

You might not be able to breadboard anything but you can run a sim and build a pcboard just to test . Or have some spare parts lying around ( like a few J201's ) for breadboarding and convert it to SMD .
That's the easiest way .
Hiatus

defaced

If you can solder a wire to it, you can bread board with it. 
-Mike

boogietone

For what it is worth, I have ended up with boatloads of these things.
An oxymoron - clean transistor boost.

artifus

is it worth sending a pretty please begging letter?  :P

DavenPaget

Quote from: boogietone on February 15, 2012, 10:52:40 AM
For what it is worth, I have ended up with boatloads of these things.
"these" you mean TO-92 JFETS ?
Hiatus

DavenPaget

Quote from: defaced on February 15, 2012, 10:49:39 AM
You can but how would you hold the chip ? You can't .
So just use the through hole equivalents , and use the SMD ones .
Likewise saying , keep the through hole stuff only for testing , SMD for the real stuff .
Oh and do not attempt to use SMD J201's now . Either they don't exist (MMBFJ201) or (SST201) is overly expensive .
Hiatus

defaced

QuoteYou can but how would you hold the chip ? You can't .
Hold the chip?  What? You're making it too hard. 

Take a SMD transistor, solder three solid wires to it, stuff it in a bread board.  Done. 
-Mike

Ice-9

Quote from: DavenPaget on February 15, 2012, 01:18:25 PM
Oh and do not attempt to use SMD J201's now . Either they don't exist (MMBFJ201) or (SST201) is overly expensive .

They are available and they are cheap MMBFJ201   £0.075  thats cheap digikey
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

liquids

Quote from: defaced on February 15, 2012, 01:45:09 PM
QuoteYou can but how would you hold the chip ? You can't .
Hold the chip?  What? You're making it too hard. 

Take a SMD transistor, solder three solid wires to it, stuff it in a bread board.  Done. 

Okay...while that might only be generally annoying for a fet...14 pin CMOS chips would be a whole new level of nuisance...and solder is not a very reliable connector, mechanically speaking...ah well. 
Breadboard it!

defaced

SMT to DIP adapters, as already discussed, exist.

The solder connection only has to last long enough to bread board an idea.  It's mechanical properties will do just fine for a plastic bread board sitting on a desk.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  It is generally much more productive to find solutions to problems than point out/dream up problems with approaches. 
-Mike

artifus

dang those pesky kids with their loud music and ever shrinking technology. get off of my lawn!

boogietone

An oxymoron - clean transistor boost.

defaced

Quote from: defaced on February 15, 2012, 10:49:39 AM
Not my finest photography, but I think it illustrates the point.

-Mike