TO-92 JFETs - many being discontinued?

Started by culturejam, January 06, 2012, 11:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavenPaget

Quote from: Ice-9 on February 15, 2012, 01:54:29 PM
Quote from: DavenPaget on February 15, 2012, 01:18:25 PM
Oh and do not attempt to use SMD J201's now . Either they don't exist (MMBFJ201) or (SST201) is overly expensive .

They are available and they are cheap MMBFJ201   £0.075  thats cheap digikey
At least on where is near me , on element14 . But i should consider that's 0.075 means SGD$0.15 HMM . I think i'll be better off with SST201's now ... they're still 30 cents whole lot more then a J201
Hiatus

DavenPaget

Quote from: defaced on February 15, 2012, 09:52:42 PM
Quote from: defaced on February 15, 2012, 10:49:39 AM
If you can solder a wire to it, you can bread board with it. 
Not my finest photography, but I think it illustrates the point.

OK , i get the point now , the perfboard idea is great . just great .
Hiatus

Ice-9

Quote from: DavenPaget on February 16, 2012, 02:07:31 PM
Quote from: Ice-9 on February 15, 2012, 01:54:29 PM
Quote from: DavenPaget on February 15, 2012, 01:18:25 PM
Oh and do not attempt to use SMD J201's now . Either they don't exist (MMBFJ201) or (SST201) is overly expensive .

They are available and they are cheap MMBFJ201   £0.075  thats cheap digikey
At least on where is near me , on element14 . But i should consider that's 0.075 means SGD$0.15 HMM . I think i'll be better off with SST201's now ... they're still 30 cents whole lot more then a J201

From my working out  1 spd = about £.050  GBP which means you would get 6 mmbfj201's for you dollar, thats good for me but not Singapore. sorry.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

DavenPaget

I was wrong . The SST201 costs  SGD$1.22
Hiatus

dthurstan

Looks like smd maybe obsolete now too.

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/research/2012/120219KlimeckAtom.html

Should be fun trying to solder these... oh no I've just burnt a million transistors!

JacktheRiffer

Quote from: DavenPaget on February 16, 2012, 02:09:51 PM
Quote from: defaced on February 15, 2012, 10:49:39 AM
If you can solder a wire to it, you can bread board with it. 
Not my finest photography, but I think it illustrates the point.

OK , i get the point now , the perfboard idea is great . just great .

How difficult was it to solder legs onto the fet?

defaced

Not really because I tinned the wire first leaving a small amount of solder behind.  Align, add a little heat, done.
-Mike

DavenPaget

Quote from: dthurstan on February 21, 2012, 03:09:05 AM

Should be fun trying to solder these... oh no I've just burnt a million transistors!
If SMD is obsolete , we can't do electronics anymore !
You actually believe such "Education" website's rubbish they constantly write and never get any further ?
EDIT : They are talking about the internals of a CPU .
SMD will remain existant and useful , there's no better mounting technique .
Hiatus

boogietone

Quote from: DavenPaget on February 21, 2012, 05:23:32 PM

You actually believe such "Education" website's rubbish they constantly write and never get any further ?

To quote a comment elsewhere about this:

"Scientists in search of nanocomputers succeed in making a transistor out of just a single atom, 50 feet of stainless steel tubing, and a hundred liters of liquid helium. Win!" [Truman North]
Italics mine.
An oxymoron - clean transistor boost.

R.G.

]Not my finest photography, but I think it illustrates the point.
Now alls you needs to do is dip them in catalyzed epoxy.  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

DavenPaget

Quote from: boogietone on February 21, 2012, 05:32:03 PM

"Scientists in search of nanocomputers succeed in making a transistor out of just a single atom, 50 feet of stainless steel tubing, and a hundred liters of liquid helium. Win!" [Truman North]
Italics mine.
Scientists do not know the real world . How the hell are hobbyists or most EE's going to see the transistor ? Don't get me started on the very limited power dissipation !
Hiatus

defaced

I have considered that very idea R.G.  

Quote from: DavenPaget on February 22, 2012, 02:43:26 AM
Quote from: boogietone on February 21, 2012, 05:32:03 PM

Italics mine.
Scientists do not know the real world . How the hell are hobbyists or most EE's going to see the transistor ? Don't get me started on the very limited power dissipation !
Um, how do we see the transistors on the surface of the CPU dies mad with 32 micro meter technology that's common today?  You and I certainly can't.  People with expensive machines take a wafer covered in the itty bitty transistors and stuff it in a plastic case, and presto, we have something to work with.    

Considering it's Hertz's birthday, it's funny you mention scientists.  The scientists of yesteryear who "didn't know the real world", guys like Hertz who wanted to communicate through the air with stuff you couldn't see, got you things like radio, tubes, your beloved J201, and the CPU that's currently being made with 35 micro meter technology.  Maybe this exact permutation of the single atom transistor isn't practical, but every great idea has to start with a "proof of concept" to get anywhere.  
-Mike

DavenPaget

Quote from: defaced on February 22, 2012, 09:37:56 AM
Um, how do we see the transistors on the surface of the CPU dies mad with 32 micro meter technology that's common today?  You and I certainly can't.  People with expensive machines take a wafer covered in the itty bitty transistors and stuff it in a plastic case, and presto, we have something to work with.    

Considering it's Hertz's birthday, it's funny you mention scientists.  The scientists of yesteryear who "didn't know the real world", guys like Hertz who wanted to communicate through the air with stuff you couldn't see, got you things like radio, tubes, your beloved J201, and the CPU that's currently being made with 35 micro meter technology.  Maybe this exact permutation of the single atom transistor isn't practical, but every great idea has to start with a "proof of concept" to get anywhere.  
it's 32nano-meter . They are all 28nano-meter now .
I know Hertz did all that , but what about the "scientists" who stay in their lab most of the time ?
They are almost always the ones who bring a concept but never manage to make it real .
Hiatus

defaced

My bad, you're right, it is nano.  32 or 28 nm, the fundamental point is still valid, you and I can't see the transistors on that CPU die, but you and I can take a CPU and use it.   Same thing with this single atom transistor.  If it can be developed and practically used, it'll be stuffed in a package and one day you and I can hold a bagazillion transistors in our hand. 

QuoteI know Hertz did all that , but what about the "scientists" who stay in their lab most of the time ?  They are almost always the ones who bring a concept but never manage to make it real .
What do you think Hertz did? In between teaching, he hung out in his lab and played with stuff until he proved something; that's what scientists do. He never made a product to sell, but yet we have radio today.  So how did that happen?  Someone's got to figure everything out, that's the scientist.  Someone's got to see the science and find a practical application for it, that's the inventor.  Someone's got to figure out how to make it, those are the manufacturing engineers. And someone has to figure out how to sell it, our beloved marketing folk can't be left out.  Very rarely can a single person do all of those things.  I think this line from Hertz wiki entry nicely illustrates the difference between primary research and invention/product development:

QuoteHertz's experiments would soon trigger the invention of the wireless telegraph, radio, and later television.
-Mike

Johan

Quote from: R.G. on February 21, 2012, 06:52:47 PM
]Not my finest photography, but I think it illustrates the point.
Now alls you needs to do is dip them in catalyzed epoxy.  :icon_biggrin:
..and sell the as "magic-mojo-part"... :P
DON'T PANIC

DavenPaget

Quote from: defaced on February 22, 2012, 10:59:56 AM
My bad, you're right, it is nano.  32 or 28 nm, the fundamental point is still valid, you and I can't see the transistors on that CPU die, but you and I can take a CPU and use it.   Same thing with this single atom transistor.  If it can be developed and practically used, it'll be stuffed in a package and one day you and I can hold a bagazillion transistors in our hand.  

QuoteI know Hertz did all that , but what about the "scientists" who stay in their lab most of the time ?  They are almost always the ones who bring a concept but never manage to make it real .
What do you think Hertz did? In between teaching, he hung out in his lab and played with stuff until he proved something; that's what scientists do. He never made a product to sell, but yet we have radio today.  So how did that happen?  Someone's got to figure everything out, that's the scientist.  Someone's got to see the science and find a practical application for it, that's the inventor.  Someone's got to figure out how to make it, those are the manufacturing engineers. And someone has to figure out how to sell it, our beloved marketing folk can't be left out.  Very rarely can a single person do all of those things.  I think this line from Hertz wiki entry nicely illustrates the difference between primary research and invention/product development:

QuoteHertz's experiments would soon trigger the invention of the wireless telegraph, radio, and later television.
Yeahyeah ... Don't forget the EE's ... They make them real .
The reason i replied to him saying what i said was because he said "smd maybe obsolete now"
Hiatus

dthurstan

yeah I know...   :), sorry I should of put a smiley face after that. I just saw it, thought it was cool. It is going of on a tangent though.

R.G.

Quote from: Johan on February 22, 2012, 11:19:40 AM
..and sell the as "magic-mojo-part"... :P
Yeah - only the green ones are any good.  :icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

frank_p

Do you match them after soldering the legs ?  :icon_rolleyes:

DavenPaget

Quote from: frank_p on February 22, 2012, 07:04:43 PM
Do you match them after soldering the legs ?  :icon_rolleyes:

Don't forget there's actually a jfet inside it  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus