help modding a proco RAT volume pot to 10k

Started by darkstar011, January 23, 2012, 08:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkstar011

I see one major difference between the chinese rats and USA rats is that the USA ones had a 10k resistor across the 100k volume pot, and an accompanying 10uf cap in place of a 1uf.

Im trying to solder a 10k resistor across my chinese RAT but not sure which lugs to use, could someone please help?

is it here?

darkstar011

or the middle one.  i dont understand why the other pots have 2 lugs connected and this one doesnt

Seljer

The tone and gain controls are implemented as variable resistors i.e. they only use the middle lug and one of the outer lugs (the other one is connected to the middle one for redundancy so if something fails with the wiper it just gets stuck on 100%)

The way you drew it would be correct for attaching the 10k resistor. Though I doubt there will be much audible difference. The RC cutoff from the decoupling capacitor is way below any audible frequency in either case. There may be a slight change in output impedance but again, to not really have any effect with the typical high input impedance of whatever guitar effect/amp will be following