blown up boss distortion

Started by pinkjimiphoton, January 29, 2012, 12:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavenPaget

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on February 02, 2012, 09:14:54 PM
wow, so i guess it's cooked alright!! wondering...could any of the transistors if blown have acted like a diode bridge? that could maybe explain the voltage doubling?

i saw the adapter he used...it was a 12 vdc...that should not have blown the damn thing! it's only gonna draw 9volts!!

the can from the cap was literally rolling loose below the circuit board, and i had to de-fluff the whole area from all the crap from the capacitor.

good call on all the electros and diodes...a bad diode can inject a dc hum like that too.

i have the pedal, when i get a chance, i'll post specific voltages and what i find.

really weird!!
Right . Most plugs not meant for guitar pedals are unpleasantly center positive .
Remember that blowing certain diodes and trannys can turn them into dual conduction bridges , therefore the 16V ( should have been 18V but diode's drop . )
Damn right , you have to look forward to do the classic silicon and aluminium can replacement .
Hiatus

ashcat_lt

i saw the adapter he used...it was a 12 vdc...that should not have blown the damn thing! it's only gonna draw 9volts!!
I think you've got your amps and volts mixed up there, dude.

Also, by definition pure DC doesn't make a sound.  The lack of filtering caps on the supply might cause a hum, though.

It was definitely a polarity problem.  Kind of frustrating when folks post that a PSU is xVDC without specifying polarity.  As you've seen, this makes a huge difference!  This particular pedal also illustrates the reason that this type of "polarity protection is completely wrong.  A diode in series with one of the power rails would simply have blocked the wrong polarity power and everything downstream would still be fine.  No fuse necessary.

pinkjimiphoton

yah, that's the chip in it..its an SIP..Single Inline Package..dip means dual yada yada.

thanks guys...imay look at it today if i get to it.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

MikeH

Any time that diode is fried, it generally means reverse voltage.  Exploded electrolytes is a dead giveaway too.

Was it a 1spot?  I have 2 1spot wall warts, 1 9v and 1 12v.  They are opposite polarity.  I am constantly afraid that I will mix them up.  :icon_eek:
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

DavenPaget

Quote from: MikeH on February 03, 2012, 12:09:36 PM

Any time that diode is fried, it generally means reverse voltage.  Exploded electrolytes is a dead giveaway too.

Was it a 1spot?  I have 2 1spot wall warts, 1 9v and 1 12v.  They are opposite polarity.  I am constantly afraid that I will mix them up.  :icon_eek:
And have a pedal 'name' Cooked ready for breakfast !
Hiatus

pinkjimiphoton

it was one of them generic ass multi voltage wallwarts....the kind where you can change the plugs for size and polarity. i bet he had it set backwards. i've used 12 v warts before into a 9v pedal with no problem.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

DavenPaget

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on February 03, 2012, 01:24:15 PM
it was one of them generic ass multi voltage wallwarts....the kind where you can change the plugs for size and polarity. i bet he had it set backwards. i've used 12 v warts before into a 9v pedal with no problem.
Yep . Most standard warts have opposite polarity to what we do .
Hiatus

pinkjimiphoton

but i mean...damn, i have never seen one smoked like this tho!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr