News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

IPS33B problem- anyone?

Started by jdub, February 07, 2012, 12:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdub

Not sure if this forum is the right place for this or not, but I'll give it a shot...I recently acquired an old Digitech IPS33B (cheap!), and it worked fine for a while then one day I turned it on and while the backlight of the display would light, there was no text visible and no effect happening- just bypass. So, I opened 'er up and the only overt thing I could find was a broken connection to one of the jacks, which I fixed.  So, I turned it on and voila, text on the display and effect except...the text displayed as gibberish so I couldn't tell which preset number I was on, or read any parameters, etc.  So, I replaced the onboard battery (figuring that might be the problem, since the thing has a 1991 date on it), but no go.  Still gibberish on the display, but the sound is fine.  The only thing that corrects the problem is doing the factory reset procedure, which only takes about 15 seconds; however, when the unit is powered off and turned back on, it goes back to gibberish on the display & I have to reset again.  Obviously, I would prefer to not have to do this each time I fire the thing up... :-\

Has anyone ever run into this problem with this particular unit, or any other for that matter?  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

DavenPaget

Hmm , it does sound like a capacitor failure .
Hiatus

jdub

The same thought had crossed my mind, considering the age of the unit...in this case, would it be more likely to be a cap for the display, do you think?  Or power supply? 

DavenPaget

Quote from: jdub on February 07, 2012, 03:25:44 PM
The same thought had crossed my mind, considering the age of the unit...in this case, would it be more likely to be a cap for the display, do you think?  Or power supply? 
Start with the Power supply then the display .  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus

jdub

Makes sense, eh?  :D  Thanks.  BTW, any ideas on where to get a schem for this baby?  Just askin'...

DavenPaget

Quote from: jdub on February 07, 2012, 03:45:35 PM
Makes sense, eh?  :D  Thanks.  BTW, any ideas on where to get a schem for this baby?  Just askin'...
I have no idea  :(
Or just google it .
Hiatus

jdub

No go with Google...but no worries, I just got it in an email from Digitech support!  Jeez, who'd have figured? ::)  Thanks for your help!