Small run PCB houses?

Started by guitarrob, February 11, 2012, 02:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarrob

I know many of you make your PCB's and I know how to make them also but for the time it takes and the end quality, I might just prefer to have higher quality unit produced by PCB houses.

To those of you that are having professional PCB's made from these smaller run board house, which ones do you find good for price/product quality?

I appreciate any help or point in the right direction.  I am researching various places at the same time.

Perhaps it is just cheaper to do it at home?

defaced

I have used BatchPCB for this with good results.  I read of other people using Dorkbot, but I have no experience with them. 
-Mike

Mike Burgundy

it *is* cheaper to DIY. But with all the work (drilling all those holes!) I'm going to go order as well. I'll still etch my own too, but from say 2-3 pcb's I wouldn't get minimum wage from the cost difference. Going to try a Dutch one - which I'm guessing won't help you much ;P

DavenPaget

It might seem cheaper to DIY at first but the cost builds up quickly , very quickly .
Having to purchase new bits every now and then and ferric chloride plus the work involved .
I just woke up .
Hiatus

bean

I have a very good relationship with Silver Circuits and I've used them for thousands of PCBs. There have been a few minor quality issues the worst of which was a few bum silk screens. I can recommend them without hesitation. They are in Malaysia, so you can expect shipping to be on the higher side, but for small runs (under 100) it's not bad. They have a prototyping service, too, if you only need around 20 or so boards. No set-up fee for that  particular service.

I'd love to see a US company match that price point, quality and turn-around. Maybe someone here knows one.

DavenPaget

I have gone up to a certain PCB Manufacturer locally , they seemed very nice and they just guided my questions  :icon_redface:

Iteadstudios vs PCB Zone

http://iteadstudio.com/
http://www.pcbzone.net/
http://www.pcbcart.com/
PCB Tips

Hiatus

Beo

I've done only one run so far from these guys, and I was very pleased with price, quality and turn around time. I'm going to use them again.
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/fusion-pcb-service-p-835.html?cPath=185

I don't mind etching at all, and drilling is okay. What I hate is cutting pcbs and all the fiberglass dust.

DavenPaget

Quote from: Beo on February 11, 2012, 04:14:41 PM
I've done only one run so far from these guys, and I was very pleased with price, quality and turn around time. I'm going to use them again.
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/fusion-pcb-service-p-835.html?cPath=185

I don't mind etching at all, and drilling is okay. What I hate is cutting pcbs and all the fiberglass dust.
Cutting copper+phenolic/pure copper is okay , drilling is easy .
But FR-4 ... good luck with that , don't attempt it .
Hiatus

guitarrob

I was considering just setting up and making my own but I think as was pointed out the costs would mount.
the PCB made int he house also seem to be much higher quality then what can be made at home such as multilayers, silkscreens..etc.

I think the DIY has it's uses when you just need something done really quick or for a simple board.

I appreciate the info guys, keep the info and opinions coming.

DavenPaget

Quote from: guitarrob on February 11, 2012, 04:44:03 PM
I was considering just setting up and making my own but I think as was pointed out the costs would mount.
the PCB made int he house also seem to be much higher quality then what can be made at home such as multilayers, silkscreens..etc.

I think the DIY has it's uses when you just need something done really quick or for a simple board.

I appreciate the info guys, keep the info and opinions coming.

Because tungsten carbide bits don't come cheap unless you live next to a 2$ shop full of tungsten carbide tips and 30cm stainless steel rulers , storage boxes and what else .
Okay , 2$ still isn't cheap .
You certainly rather want them to do SMD , it's cheaper for you and them because they don't need to bother with drill bits , only routing bits .
Hiatus

Minion

Making PCB"s at home hasn"t been expensive for me .... It has maybe cost me $100 in the last 5 years and I have made maybe 200 boards .... i bought 30 square feet of FR4 PCB material on e-bay a few years ago for real cheap and got a box of 40 carbide bits for $20 that has lasted me a few years though I am running low now(it is surprising how long they have lasted seeing as I use a dremmel and drill by hand ) , and Peroxide and Muriotic acid is cheap ......

Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!

DavenPaget

Quote from: Minion on February 11, 2012, 05:22:16 PM
Making PCB"s at home hasn"t been expensive for me .... It has maybe cost me $100 in the last 5 years and I have made maybe 200 boards .... i bought 30 square feet of FR4 PCB material on e-bay a few years ago for real cheap and got a box of 40 carbide bits for $20 that has lasted me a few years though I am running low now(it is surprising how long they have lasted seeing as I use a dremmel and drill by hand ) , and Peroxide and Muriotic acid is cheap ......

Lucky you . What i usually look for is quality . and it isn't present .
FR4 creates fiberglass dust and of course you need a dust extractor .
40 carbide bits $20 and 30 sqft of FR4 on ebay ... I AM VERY SCARED OF PURCHASING FROM EBAY ANYMORE .
I sometimes prefer getting a cheap blank FR4 and passing it onto the pcb house .
Hiatus

Minion

[/quote]

40 carbide bits $20 and 30 sqft of FR4 on ebay ... I AM VERY SCARED OF PURCHASING FROM EBAY ANYMORE .
I sometimes prefer getting a cheap blank FR4 and passing it onto the pcb house .
[/quote]

Don"t use a dust extractor , I live dangerously .......

Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!

DavenPaget

Quote from: Minion on February 11, 2012, 05:30:23 PM

[/quote]

Don"t use a dust extractor , I live dangerously .......

[/quote]
I don't wish to have a rusty mind that is on the crispy side and/or a dull mind  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus

mattthegamer463

+1 for Seeed Studio, I love those guys.  I've probably ordered from them 10 times or more, I get them to do all my stuff now.  You have to buy 10 boards but if you've got a good project you might be able to sell the leftovers.

guitarrob

I have made a list of a few different house that are close to me, so now just to compared features and prices and make a decision.
I think I am still going to make DIY's here and there but for the more complicated projects, I think this is the better way to go.
We will see anyway.:)

a soBer Newt

[url]http://iteadstudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19_20[/url

I just ordered my second batch of boards from them, be prepared to wait a bit. Mine took about 3 weeks to arrive ( I think Chinese New Year may be to blame) Great boards none the less!

Ronan

+1 seeedstudio fusion pcb service. 5cm x 5cm 1.6mm thick PCB, quantity 10, is about $14.00 shipped, two layer plated through hole, one silkscreen, solder mask both sides, about 3 weeks max turn around time. For that price, its getting more difficult to justify home etching.

crane

I've used DorkBot. The service ir really great for such a small board count (minimum order 3 boards).
BUT - I'm located in Europe so shippings seems a bit too high.
Anyone knows a good (meaning cheap for small amount of boards (saying small amount I mean ~ 10)) on this side of the pond?

Ice-9

I use a place called PCBCart in china, turnaround is quick and you can get an instant on-line price without waiting for emails back from them as they have an on-line price calculator that will give you the full cost including postage and taxes. They off a nice service that includes nickel/ gold plating, through hole plating, silk screens, multilayer plus lots more.I have searched many different places but have not been able to find any as good on pricing as this.

Below are  2 examples of PCB's I have ordered from them.  Prices for these worked out between £1.00 - £1.50 per board. I order 100 pieces at a time, that seems to be a magic number for price as 50 pieces doesn't work out much cheaper.

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.