Connecting multiple Rubies to a single cab

Started by mremic01, February 16, 2012, 04:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mremic01

I'd like to build 2 or 3 Rubies into one enclosure and have them all connected to a single speaker to use as a practice amp that a whole band could plug into. Is this possible, or will it cause some sort of impedance issues having the outputs more than one Ruby all going into one speaker?
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

iccaros

It would be better to use a mixer on the front end then to try and mix to the speaker.
Then you would have one ruby with multiple inputs.
As the ruby amp was not designed for this, you will have issues on quality of sound.

gregwbush

Yeah but each instrument having it's own ruby would result in a more dynamic sound wouldn't it??

Say, have 3 ruby's, THEN mix 'em together into another power amp connected to speaker

i dunno...

R.G.

Quote from: mremic01 on February 16, 2012, 04:13:29 PM
I'd like to build 2 or 3 Rubies into one enclosure and have them all connected to a single speaker to use as a practice amp that a whole band could plug into. Is this possible, or will it cause some sort of impedance issues having the outputs more than one Ruby all going into one speaker?
Iccaros is correct. It is possible, but will give problems unless you isolate the outputs some way, like perhaps with series resistors for each output. This prevents the individual outputs from fighting each other for different instantaneous voltages, but also lowers the output. Any kind of power output tends to not play well with another power output trying to control the same thing.

QuoteYeah but each instrument having it's own ruby would result in a more dynamic sound wouldn't it??
It depends on what you mean when you say "dynamic sound". It'll be different. But you'll get better results by having only one power amp driving the speaker whichever way you do it.

QuoteSay, have 3 ruby's, THEN mix 'em together into another power amp connected to speaker
This is by far a better idea than trying to gang the outputs. Whether it's better than mixing before one Ruby depends on other issue, like instantaneous output levels.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

DavenPaget

It can also be a rather better idea to send 3 rubies , mix 'em into a TDA2030 amp instead of a speaker
Hiatus

pinkjimiphoton

whoever drives the ruby hardest will win...and fry the others. NEVER connect two amps to one speaker...recipe for disaster.

one of my good friends bought a beautiful accoustic 360 bass amp off another friend...and decided to a/b that and a 1200 watt walter wood bass amp into the same box.

he forgot to dis-connect the accoustic. the big amp won.

fried the accoustic all the way up to the input stages. he sold the husk on ebay after several failed attempts at re-populating the board.

you'll get more control with a simple mixer going to one amp to one speaker.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

mremic01

Thanks guys. This sounds like it will be a lot harder than it's worth. I think I'll just build 3 Rubies into one box with three inputs and three outputs and just use separate cabs. Now I just need to scavenge some old speakers from Goodwill or the Salvation Army.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

iccaros

Depending on how much volume you need, you may really want to test those speakers. Non insterment speakers are very inefficent, and could make that  .5watt amp sound like a .0005 watt amp. speaker efficiency is more import than wattage in some cases.