Fuzz face clone problem HELP please!

Started by caseyf, February 19, 2012, 11:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseyf

Haha sorry got a bit carried away, thank you thank you all who helped. But see, it wasnt a shorting problem in the end ;)

LucifersTrip

Quote from: caseyf on February 24, 2012, 10:00:19 PM
Quote from: slideman82 on February 24, 2012, 09:50:11 PM
Those are the consecuences of messing with a Si FF! You'll have to place a small cap, 100p for example, between C and B of transistor n°2. This will roll off some highs. If squealling doesn't disappear, try a larger cap, 150p, 220p, and so on. Start with 47p, high values roll off more highs.
K, thanks ill do that. it works perfectly with a Hot dot box (pre amp/boost) before it however. without that the fuzz fizzles out while the clean singles keeps sustaining

cool...now it's time to adjust the bias to get it right on.

Did you make note of the voltages when it started working?  It'd be a good idea...

Pull the 8.2K and substitute a pot (20K+) there and adjust until you get Q2 C to around 4.5-5.5v   
The fuzz probably won't fizzle out anymore.

btw, any clue  why it worked after you changed the input from mono to stereo? it should work either way if you use the right lugs.
but, stereo is preferable since you will be using it as a switch for the battery.

always think outside the box

caseyf

Quote from: LucifersTrip on February 24, 2012, 11:48:44 PM
Quote from: caseyf on February 24, 2012, 10:00:19 PM
Quote from: slideman82 on February 24, 2012, 09:50:11 PM
Those are the consecuences of messing with a Si FF! You'll have to place a small cap, 100p for example, between C and B of transistor n°2. This will roll off some highs. If squealling doesn't disappear, try a larger cap, 150p, 220p, and so on. Start with 47p, high values roll off more highs.
K, thanks ill do that. it works perfectly with a Hot dot box (pre amp/boost) before it however. without that the fuzz fizzles out while the clean singles keeps sustaining

cool...now it's time to adjust the bias to get it right on.

Did you make note of the voltages when it started working?  It'd be a good idea...

Pull the 8.2K and substitute a pot (20K+) there and adjust until you get Q2 C to around 4.5-5.5v   
The fuzz probably won't fizzle out anymore.

btw, any clue  why it worked after you changed the input from mono to stereo? it should work either way if you use the right lugs.
but, stereo is preferable since you will be using it as a switch for the battery.

Q1:
C 1.1
B 0.38
E 0ish

Q2:
C 3.6
B 1.1
E 0.7

Okay thanks I'll look for a pot. do you mean like a trimpot or an actual normal pot? And yeah, because I had the sort of jack where when you put a plug in the shield is disconnected from everything (so the -9v went nowhere?) It clearly isnt the right sort of plug for an effect pedal. How does a pot replace the resistor btw? since it has 3 pins?

LucifersTrip

Quote from: caseyf on February 25, 2012, 03:01:55 AM

Q1:
C 1.1
B 0.38
E 0ish

Q2:
C 3.6
B 1.1
E 0.7

since Q2 C is low, you will get a thinner tone with less volume and not as good sustain

Okay thanks I'll look for a pot. do you mean like a trimpot or an actual normal pot?

either one...many prefer a permanent normal pot since the bias will change with temperature...and you'll want to make slight adjustments when you play

QuoteHow does a pot replace the resistor btw? since it has 3 pins?

it is just a variable resistor when using 2 pins (middle and either side). in your case, looking down with lugs forward, use the middle and right. full counterclockwise = 0K

caseyf

Quote from: LucifersTrip on February 25, 2012, 05:48:34 AM
Quote from: caseyf on February 25, 2012, 03:01:55 AM

Q1:
C 1.1
B 0.38
E 0ish

Q2:
C 3.6
B 1.1
E 0.7

since Q2 C is low, you will get a thinner tone with less volume and not as good sustain

Okay thanks I'll look for a pot. do you mean like a trimpot or an actual normal pot?

either one...many prefer a permanent normal pot since the bias will change with temperature...and you'll want to make slight adjustments when you play

QuoteHow does a pot replace the resistor btw? since it has 3 pins?

it is just a variable resistor when using 2 pins (middle and either side). in your case, looking down with lugs forward, use the middle and right. full counterclockwise = 0K

Thank you thank you the 20K pot makes all the difference, pity I got a a trimpot and not a normal one, didn't realise it would shape the sound so much. Ohwell I can always change. absolutely love my fuzzface, just need to box it up now :)

LucifersTrip

Quote from: caseyf on February 26, 2012, 04:01:46 AM

Thank you thank you the 20K pot makes all the difference

excellent..one more fuzz in the world

pity I got a a trimpot and not a normal one, didn't realise it would shape the sound so much. Ohwell I can always change. absolutely love my fuzzface, just need to box it up now :)

drill a hole in the bottom of the box right above the trimmer...ahhaah

good luck

rousejeremy

new sig
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

LucifersTrip

Quote from: rousejeremy on February 26, 2012, 10:13:27 PM

new sig

haha..thanx...don't forget to capitalize the "T"

caseyf

Quote from: rousejeremy on February 26, 2012, 10:13:27 PM

new sig

*2 more fuzzes in the world I made one as a present too ;)

caseyf

Still have a horrible high pitched staticy sound, when i roll off the volume the signal cleans up but theres theres still that staticy sound thats about the same volume as the clean signal. and also it has good tone with the fuzz on full but this causes an extremely peircing screeching sound while not playing. No small caps have taken away either the staticy background noise or the feedback. any suggestions? Is this because of the high gains of the transistors? (300 and 320 in one pedal and 660 and 640 in the other)

slideman82

It will pitch with every silicon transistor, I think, that's my experience. Which caps have you placed?
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!