Tap Tempo W/ 2 Outputs (1 NO, 1 NC)

Started by ScottSol, February 20, 2012, 03:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottSol

Like the title says, is it possible to wire a tap tempo using a dpdt switch with two synchronized outputs, one being NO, and the other NC?
I want to use one tap tempo to sync up a boss dd-5 and a nova delay. (The boss is NC operation and the nova delay is NO)
This switch: http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=9001&Category_Code=SWI

.Mike

That is a latching switch. You would need a DPDT momentary switch, like this one. I think Smallbear sells a couple of varieties, too.

Hook one tap output to the normally closed side of one pole, and hook the other tap output to the normally open side of the other pole. :)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

ScottSol

Could you tell me which output lugs are nc and no?

.Mike

Nope, but your multimeter can do it in about 30 seconds. :)

ScottSol

i have a multimeter but don't know how to use it. how do you do that? sorry for being sucha noob  :icon_mrgreen:

.Mike

No worries. We all have to learn sometime. Now is the perfect time. :)

Set your meter to measure resistance. It doesn't really matter which range-- any of them will work.

You'll notice that your meter reads 1. That means that the two probes are not connected at all. Now touch the probes together. The reading should change from 1 to something that is not 1-- a lot closer to zero. So, if you get a reading of 1, the probes are not connected, and if you get a reading of anything but 1, they are connected.

Now, grab your switch and start probing around. The switch is two rows of three. The two rows can be considered as completely separate switches that function identically. It's just like pushing down two momentary switches at once, but built into one switch.

Hold one of your probes on one of the middle lugs. Touch the other probe to the other two lugs in the row to find the one that is connected. The two that are connected will be the normally closed side. If you push the button while holding your test probes in place, you will see the meter go from 0 to 1 for as long as you keep the button held down. Now move the probe to the other lug in that same row, leaving the probe on the middle lug in place. It should read 1. If you push the button while holding the probes in place, it will change to 0 for as long as you keep the button held down. Those two are the normally open side.

Test the other side of the switch to be sure you understand how it works, and then you're good to go, provided your two delays do work on NO and NC momentary action. :)

Mike