Mojo Cake Overdrive Pedal

Started by Moonibopper, February 19, 2012, 11:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonibopper

So I just put together Soulsonic's version of the Crowther Hot Cake as layed out here: http://www.sabrotone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/MojoCake.gif

The effect is great! The only issue is, wired up exactly as shown (with buffer and DPDT) it takes a second or two for the effect to come through the effect is engaged. Is this a result of the buffer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PRR

Is there a schematic?

> takes a second or two

Try 100K from Gain12 to Ground.
  • SUPPORTER

Moonibopper

artifus

Moonibopper

Artifus you having the same issue?

artifus

Moonibopper

Awesome, thanks!

Can either of you guys explain the reasoning behind the issue I'm having? Just for learning sake... thanks.

PRR

I am not convinced the plan is correct. At least the off-board wiring confuses me.

Open up. No plug in output. Put your DC voltmeter from tip to sleeve of output jack. Engage/disengage effect, various Volume and Tone settings. Is there DC on the output jack? Seems to me there is, and different engaged/disengaged.

• SUPPORTER

Moonibopper

So, tried the 100k resistor from Gain1,2 to ground. Still the same issue.

Checked the DC voltage on the output jack - when disengaged, 4.3V. When engaged, 0.3V.

Can you tell me what in the stripboard layout is incorrect? Really appreciate the help.

PRR

> disengaged, 4.3V. When engaged, 0.3V

No good. The effect may actually be working through the transition, but that 4 volt JUMP in a 0.1V-signal world may be knocking-out the next amp in the chain (possibly your guitar amp) and it takes a second or two to recover.

> what in the stripboard layout is incorrect?

I'm looking at the original (PCB) drawings and I'm not digesting them. Being spread-out over 3 files in 2 formats is not helping. But clearly the output jack has DC path through pots and resistors to an opamp output sitting at +4.5V. In FX mode the bottom of the Volum pot is grounded; in Bypass it seems to float up to 4.5V.

I wonder if the design was originally bipolar power. Then the opamp output would sit (nearly) zero V either way.

Trying to "fix" this schematic, then identifying the mods to the PCB, then transposing to your stripboard, is non-trivial.

I see the name of "that other place" on the drawings. Have you looked/asked there?
  • SUPPORTER

Moonibopper

Okay will ask there. I thought it would just be a matter of comparing the stripboard layout to the schematic.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Moonibopper

Hmmm... tried that but now there's no sound either in bypass or when engaged. Appreciate the help.

LaceSensor

Moonibopper

LaceSensor, did you ever figure it out?

LaceSensor

No just gave up and made another that worked.

Moonibopper

Made another copy of the same pedal? What made it work the second time?

LaceSensor

Quote from: Moonibopper on February 20, 2012, 10:04:34 PM
Made another copy of the same pedal? What made it work the second time?
No another hotcake vero completely