Little Angel Space Madness Mod

Started by garcho, February 26, 2012, 11:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garcho

While noodling with the Little Angel on the breadboard, I connected an electrolytic cap (polarity didn't seem to matter) between the base of the 2N3904 and lug 3 of the 'depth' pot, and when you turn the depth knob all the way up ('turn the depth up' sounds like a contradiction  :icon_lol:), the Little Angel turns into a bizarro space madness pitch shifting warbler. The 'speed' needs to be in the quickest 20% for the effect to occur. At 80% speed, it sounds like a sine wave LFO doing some weird pitch shifting. At 100% speed, it sounds like a psychedelic machine gun made out of sparkly star candy. I don't know anything about electronics so I don't know why it works. I suppose the cap is charging and discharging from the transistor switching, and affecting the time control on the PT2399? Anyway, I'm about to put it into an enclosure, with a toggle switch for 'space madness' mode, and I'll do a video demo, so y'all can hear it. If anyone has Little Angel on the breadboard, I suggest checking out this super easy FSU mod. Any suggestions on taking this mod further?

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

add4

it doesn't exists if theres no sample of it :)

GodSaveMetal

Quote from: garcho on February 26, 2012, 11:19:36 PM
While noodling with the Little Angel on the breadboard, I connected an electrolytic cap (polarity didn't seem to matter) between the base of the 2N3904 and lug 3 of the 'depth' pot, and when you turn the depth knob all the way up ('turn the depth up' sounds like a contradiction  :icon_lol:), the Little Angel turns into a bizarro space madness pitch shifting warbler. The 'speed' needs to be in the quickest 20% for the effect to occur. At 80% speed, it sounds like a sine wave LFO doing some weird pitch shifting. At 100% speed, it sounds like a psychedelic machine gun made out of sparkly star candy. I don't know anything about electronics so I don't know why it works. I suppose the cap is charging and discharging from the transistor switching, and affecting the time control on the PT2399? Anyway, I'm about to put it into an enclosure, with a toggle switch for 'space madness' mode, and I'll do a video demo, so y'all can hear it. If anyone has Little Angel on the breadboard, I suggest checking out this super easy FSU mod. Any suggestions on taking this mod further?

OHHHH mind another mod for this incredible pedal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks!!! I've tuned here for the videos!!!!!!!!

garcho

So, I haven't put it in an enclosure yet, but I wanted to make this demo for the unbelievers  ;) 
Here's a super boring demo for the 'space madness' mod. Bear with me - if you like weirdness, you'll be excited about this mod. Disregard my mumbling. There are more sounds to get out of this mod when the speed knob is turned down a bit from 100%, mostly heavy warble, but I forgot while recording and you'll get the idea from what's there anyway. The hi-fi fanatic that I am, I recorded this with my laptop's built-in mic. Homemade strat plugged into a Tiny Giant.

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Keppy

"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

garcho

Thanks! If you haven't built a Little Angel yet, here's your excuse.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Mark Hammer

Obviously limited utility for a great many musicians, but an interesting effect nonetheless.  What I am most struck by is just how many analog synth modules it would have likely taken to produce that same sound "in olden times".

pinkjimiphoton

oh, great, ANOTHER thing to add to the build list!!!!

:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

nice mod!! i don't care how useful it is, it sounds so cool it justifies the build..

"jimi, i thought the last build was that pedal 4 months back, what was it a uniphase fuzzer or something?"

"ummm....gotta hit the part store"...."did i tell ya how beautiful ya look today?"

and out the door i went.....lol
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

frequencycentral

Amazing, I have no idea what's happening there but it sounds twisted. Good work!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

artifus

excellent. curiosity has had the PT2399 bubbling near the top of my must try ic wish list for a while - that vid just about seals it and pushes it right to the top. nice one.

p_wats

Very cool. I might have to try this with my build.

garcho

Thanks y'all! All credit rests with Rick Holt's design; I just throw caps and diodes in weird places and see what happens. Speaking of, if anyone out there is into synths and noise makers (CMOS style) caps and diodes are the perfect things to toss randomly into R2R networks, being mindful of the wattage. I hack in the low voltage/amperage universe, so not much of a concern for me.

QuoteObviously limited utility

Definitely. I was fantasizing that one of the local geniuses here could come up with ways to expand this effect. (hint hint ;)) I'll keep plugging along with some similar PT2399 designs, but don't nobody hold yer breath!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

artifus

it's been bothering me since i heard it the other day - your vid reminds me of the sample near the start of this awesome, dance floor filling tune (31s in): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etviGf1uWlg&ob=av3e

'we are going to dance and have some fun'

hmmm... not quite... if remixed by raymond scott perhaps?

*spelligns*

deadastronaut

@garcho: i'm breading this today finally, ive been looking forward to this cool project of ricks.. :icon_cool:..., is this the working schematic with the pin 6 fix?...does it still have any issues?...

i fancy prodding it around too... ;)

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=86297.msg815570#msg815570
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

garcho

Quoteis this the working schematic with the pin 6 fix?
Yep.

Quotedoes it still have any issues?
Nope.

Let us know if you discover anything. I've been meaning to look at this more but haven't had the time. Cheers!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Colonel Angus

This is on deck for sure!!!

Oh, my beloved ice-cream bar. How I love to lick your creamy center. And your oh, so nutty chocolate covering. You're not like the others. You like the same things I do: Wax paper. Boiled football leather. Dog breath. We're not hitchhiking anymore... We're riding!
Quote from: frequencycentral on June 16, 2012, 12:59:15 PM
Why should you not have 90o angles? Do the electrons bunch up in the corners?

garcho

Ha! Can't wait to hear what people do with this strange nugget. Has anyone noodled with this yet? I still can't figure out how to expand this outside of swapping cap values. 10-47uF seemed to be optimal for weirdness. Polarity alters the rate and depth very slightly, value a little more.

Here's a pic of my Little Angel with the Space Madness mod, called 'Weird Angel':

The pineapple is for added weirdness factor.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

nordine

Quote from: garcho on April 16, 2012, 06:21:06 PM
Ha! Can't wait to hear what people do with this strange nugget. Has anyone noodled with this yet? I still can't figure out how to expand this outside of swapping cap values. 10-47uF seemed to be optimal for weirdness. Polarity alters the rate and depth very slightly, value a little more.

Here's a pic of my Little Angel with the Space Madness mod, called 'Weird Angel':

The pineapple is for added weirdness factor.

will try it for sure  ;D