preventing full saturation on a fuzz pot

Started by mordechai, February 29, 2012, 01:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mordechai

What can I do to a 1K fuzz pot to have it hit a "ceiling" so that even turned up all the way on the shaft, it only reaches 95% (or so) saturation? 

Bill Mountain

Quote from: mordechai on February 29, 2012, 01:11:49 PM
What can I do to a 1K fuzz pot to have it hit a "ceiling" so that even turned up all the way on the shaft, it only reaches 95% (or so) saturation? 

Depending on the actual circuit you should be able to put a series resistor if the 1k pot goes to ground.  Otherwise we would need to see a schematic.

nocentelli

If it's a fuzzface-type gain control (i.e. Lug3=emitter, lug2=electro cap to ground, lug1=ground) you can add a small value resistor in series with the electro to ground off lug 2. To find the right value, hook up another 1k pot from the lug2 cap's negative terminal to ground, max the fuzz pot, and adjust the second pot until you get the maximum fuzz level you're happy with, measure the resistance and replace it with a fixed resistor of approximately that value.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

mordechai

That sounds like it'll do the trick, thanks!

seedlings

Like this:

You can also give an illusion of reduced gain with a 10K to 47K resistor before the first input cap.  Basically this reduces the load your pickups see.  (You can make that a pot and then you have an analog man sun face).

CHAD

LucifersTrip

preventing full saturation on a fuzz pot...is a sin
always think outside the box

seedlings

LucifersTrip

darron

Quote from: LucifersTrip on March 01, 2012, 11:50:25 PM
perfect  resistor for sin encourager:

but what's the tolerance like on the carbon ones?
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

LucifersTrip