Radio Shack Fuzz is too loud

Started by ggsmailroom, March 02, 2012, 03:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggsmailroom

Hey guys, 2nd time posting a topic here :)

Curious if anyone has built that standard Radio Shack Fuzz layout that is out there, and if you have encountered the problem of too much volume?

I am using standard NPN silicon transistors, all the ones I select give too much volume on the overall signal. Any suggestions?

I will post build pics in a moment, though I will admit the work is very clean.
Pat Garland

Technician, Owner
Garland Guitar Services

seedlings

Quote from: ggsmailroom on March 02, 2012, 03:26:38 PM
Hey guys, 2nd time posting a topic here :)

Curious if anyone has built that standard Radio Shack Fuzz layout that is out there, and if you have encountered the problem of too much volume?

I am using standard NPN silicon transistors, all the ones I select give too much volume on the overall signal. Any suggestions?

I will post build pics in a moment, though I will admit the work is very clean.

What about turning down the 1M volume?  What kind of transistors did you use?

CHAD

ggsmailroom

Hi Chad!

I actually thought about replacing pot with 500k as a try, but I didn't want to hack it apart until I posted about it :D

so far Ive tried 2N2222A and 2N4401, also have   2N5088 and a couple of others to check out - I would opt to use BC108 or BC107 but I am out of both.

I will replace volume pot and let you know what happens!
Pat Garland

Technician, Owner
Garland Guitar Services

LucifersTrip

I don't really understand the problem. Isn't that why there's a volume knob?    you can tame the circuit in numerous ways, but you would probably be changing the tone.  what do you exactly mean by "too loud"?

always think outside the box

ggsmailroom

My beef is that it gets too loud too quick.

Basically in order to get a good tone you have to lose your clean channel completely - if you switch between it, it's a dramatically different level.

I get unity gain after I barely turn up the knob from 0 - after its past 9 o'clock I pretty much cant use it.
Pat Garland

Technician, Owner
Garland Guitar Services

gde

are you using a linear tapered pot for the 1M? If so, an audio taper pot will still be as loud as the linear when it is at maximum, but will have a nicer transition between silent and LOUD.

If you are already using an audio pot, you can test out a resistor between the .022uF cap and the 1M POT.

ggsmailroom

Using a B1M

Yes, if the unity gain was achieved at about 50-60% up I would be a lot happier, and less worried about it being too loud when i step on it. Otherwise it sounds great - and cleans up very nicely!

I also notice that when it is cranked all the way up - it almost sounds like there is too much strain on the amp or the transistors, there is a very ugly high end presence and the bass just sounds like a blown speaker.
Pat Garland

Technician, Owner
Garland Guitar Services

tiges_ tendres

Try a little tenderness.

ggsmailroom

Pat Garland

Technician, Owner
Garland Guitar Services

JebemMajke

There is no such thing as a "too loud fuzz".  8)

ggsmailroom

LOL, I know my wording probably sounded silly - I mean, it is a fuzz, but the problem is the fact that I have very little control over the volume, was either not loud or TOO loud

(basically, it sounded like when you hit the pedal, someone had turned the volume on my amp up about 5 more numbers)

The wrong pot sounds like a major issue, all the components are correct except for a 12k instead of 10k ( ran out )
Pat Garland

Technician, Owner
Garland Guitar Services

seedlings

One or the other of the modifications in RED will help you out, but most likely splitting the 10K in half up at the top will help with your complaint of too much volume too fast.

CHAD

joelindsey

Well, if you were saying you were using it on your clean channel, that's just how it goes. If you put a fuzz in front of an already distorted amp/pedal your signal just compress even further without much increase in volume.

But yeah, the audio taper pot will help

PRR

That plan IS too loud.

Compare with FuzzFace. FF splits the Q2 collector load so only part of the extreme slam gets out.

An "Audio" taper pot is better than linear but you still can't use the upper half of the turn.

Seedling's plan to split this resistor is one easy fix. I would go further: top maybe 680 ohms and bottom 5K or 10K (much like some FuzzFaces).

The variable-gain pot below Q2 is another fine FF idea, altho this wants to be "Reverse Audio" and is an un-common part anywhere except fuzz-parts stores.
  • SUPPORTER

LucifersTrip

a couple more things...

1) the OP noted that the volume was super loud (> unity) with just a small turn. though an audio taper will help, it will get no where near solving this particular problem

2) just realized OP never gave voltage readings for the transistors. if Q2 is severely misbiased, the volume could be super boomy & loud

3) any time i have built a FF variant similar to this (with the output coming directly off the collector), the volume pot was always very small since the output was always loud...and boomy. an example:

http://www.luciferstrip.com/fuzz/fy-2-ge.jpg

always think outside the box

blackcorvo

Quote from: PRR on March 03, 2012, 02:29:42 AM
That plan IS too loud.

Compare with FuzzFace. FF splits the Q2 collector load so only part of the extreme slam gets out.

An "Audio" taper pot is better than linear but you still can't use the upper half of the turn.

Seedling's plan to split this resistor is one easy fix. I would go further: top maybe 680 ohms and bottom 5K or 10K (much like some FuzzFaces).

The variable-gain pot below Q2 is another fine FF idea, altho this wants to be "Reverse Audio" and is an un-common part anywhere except fuzz-parts stores.

Or you could just use a 100k pot in series with the input cap. That usually works nicely, and gives a cool chimey tone at low-gain settings.
She/They as of August 2021

seedlings

Or use a 470K resistor after the output cap, and replace the 1M pot with a 500K.

CHAD

Darth Bawl

Posted on: Yesterday at 01:43:34 PM Posted by: seedlings
Insert Quote
Or use a 470K resistor after the output cap, and replace the 1M pot with a 500K.

CHAD

This is what I'd do. just try different sized resistors after the output cap until you find the value you like. Worked like a charm for me on a similar circuit.
Built: EHX Muff Fuzz, EHX LPB-1, Colorsound One-Knob Fuzz, ...