LED placement on high gain pedals

Started by fretzburner, March 05, 2012, 08:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fretzburner

Hi,just curious about LED placement if it affect or contribute noise on high gain pedals if placed just under the pcb.I'm asking this because i'm about to drill holes for the LEDs on my seventheaven build.Planning to place just at the center of the pcb underneath it.Hope somebody with experience with this reads this.
Thanks

Vince_b

You don't have to worry about this, the LED placement will not have any effect on the noise level.

fretzburner

Thanks Vince for the clarification.Now i have to focus on the "looks" side about led placement.

DDD

By the by, LED circuit is able to produce the popping sound upon activation. This can cause very loud sound in a hi-gain situation.
So it's better to place the LED circuit not close to the input of the stompbox.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

Seljer

Quote from: DDD on March 06, 2012, 08:46:31 AM
By the by, LED circuit is able to produce the popping sound upon activation. This can cause very loud sound in a hi-gain situation.
So it's better to place the LED circuit not close to the input of the stompbox.

And wire the footswitch to have the LED further away from the input side too

Vince_b

I didn't knew that the placement of the LED can cause popping upon activation.
Actually, it never has been an issue for the many high gain pedals that I've built.

merlinb

The LED can cause a pop due to the sudden current drain on the PSU when it switches on, if the power rail it is not well regulated. But this has nothing to do with its physical proximity to other circuit elements.