Power Supply Question

Started by timd, March 11, 2012, 10:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timd

I have been getting fustrated with going through 9v batteries, so I'm making a stand against using them if I can help it. I have a power supply that came with a pedal I bought a while ago (output 9.6V DC 200mA), but I have one more I found around the house (from non-guitar related stuff):

Class 2 Power Source
Input 120V AC 60Hz 6 W
Output 9V DC 100ma

Is this safe to use with guitar pedals?

smallbearelec

Quote from: timd on March 11, 2012, 10:12:06 PM
I have been getting fustrated with going through 9v batteries, so I'm making a stand against using them if I can help it. I have a power supply that came with a pedal I bought a while ago (output 9.6V DC 200mA), but I have one more I found around the house (from non-guitar related stuff):
Class 2 Power Source
Input 120V AC 60Hz 6 W
Output 9V DC 100ma

Either will work, but they will likely need a lot of additional filtering if you don't want to hear a lot of hum in your playing. Search previous threads here for recommendations on how to set this up. Also note that the output voltage will vary with the load, and a 9 volt output does not give you enough headroom to add a regulator. I generally go with 12 volts into a regulator to get a solid 9 volts under load. Bottom line: What you want to do is possible, but you should know the limits and some ins-and-outs before you start.

aron

For most power supply situations, I just use a One Spot. Haven't had any problems with them.

iccaros

one spot with the octopus connections is the best item I have bought. Gives clean power and supports all of the pedals I use, except my valve caster, but that use 12v at

LucifersTrip

Quote from: timd on March 11, 2012, 10:12:06 PM

just be careful about polarity. most pedal adapters are center neg, but household ones could be the opposite

always think outside the box