Fuzz Factory tone knob mod?

Started by Shawbrook, March 12, 2012, 03:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawbrook

I'm going to make this Fuzz Factory. I heard it's a bit trebly though, and also I want to add something from myself to this build so I was thinking of maybe adding a tone knob to the pedal. I can't find a lot about this on the net. How would I do this?

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Shawbrook on March 12, 2012, 03:21:30 PM
I'm going to make this Fuzz Factory. I heard it's a bit trebly though, and also I want to add something from myself to this build so I was thinking of maybe adding a tone knob to the pedal. I can't find a lot about this on the net. How would I do this?

joe's is a common one many use.

you'll have to experiment with diff values since the Factory input is already 10uF...it is surprising you heard it was trebley since it creates so many different sounds it would be difficult to even know
always think outside the box

joegagan

this is a great mod. you have to put the variable input cap control at the small cap between Q1 and Q2. you can also put a conventional tone control at the end of circuit if you want to cut highs further, although i find this unnecessary.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Processaurus

These are mods do nothing for the treble content of a fuzz, they just let more or less bass INTO the circuit.  While often a useful way to dial in good fuzz, a tone control after the fuzz is what allows one to control the treble of the fuzz, because distortion generates harmonics and treble, even when fed with a muffled, bass heavy signal.

With the Fuzz Factory, I've tried a big muff style tone control, and Mark Hammer's Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control, and preferred the latter much more.  It knocks the output level down a fair bit, but it still was loud enough to not be quieter than the bypassed signal.

Here at AMZ is an article that shows the SWTC and a couple variations, the one at the bottom looks interesting because it offers treble boost as well as cut:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/swtc.htm