please help identify a couple parts

Started by LucifersTrip, March 13, 2012, 05:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LucifersTrip

I was going thru some stuff I pulled a while ago and came across these...

first is a transformer or transformer-like part. it's about an inch long in a plastic case. There's no markings and  I can't set up a quick test now. it's probably ridiculous, but is there any logical guess to what the ratio might be if it is a straight transformer. if it helps, there's exactly .7 ohms across each coil.

second is an HK100. it's little less than 1/2" high in a plastic case. "HK100" is too generic a name so I can't look it up easily. if it helps, there's exactly .4 ohms across the lugs and it's not a cap.

thanx alot
always think outside the box

Seljer

The bottom one looks like an inductor (you can see the start of the enameled wire at the bottom I think), it's probably something small like 100uH

The transfomer seems to be built around a ferrite core so it probably came out of some switching power supply.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Seljer on March 13, 2012, 06:09:17 AM
The bottom one looks like an inductor (you can see the start of the enameled wire at the bottom I think), it's probably something small like 100uH

The transfomer seems to be built around a ferrite core so it probably came out of some switching power supply.

the funny thing is I already googled hk100 inductor and didn't get any picture matches, but inductor does seem most probable

I just remembered the transformer came out of a dvd player. I was hoping to find a 1:1 so I wouldn't have to wait for an order

thanx much

davent

The top two look like dual inductors, the small cans...?

Have used dual inductors in a few power supplies.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

PRR

The 4-leg part is a common-mode choke for the AC line. It reduces digital hash getting out of the box and messing with your radio reception.

> I was hoping to find a 1:1 so I wouldn't have to wait for an order
>  0.7 ohms across each coil.

It is not an audio transformer. Rule-of-thumb: in for-audio chokes the DC resistance tends to be 1/10th of the nominal audio impedance. That says 7 ohms. So it might work at speaker level.... but it probably does not have a for-audio core and will not pass bass, maybe not midrange.

A dual-primary 120:120 power transformer "may" be a good 2K:2K audio transformer. (Ignore secondary.)

• SUPPORTER

LucifersTrip

Quote from: PRR on March 15, 2012, 01:27:28 AM
The 4-leg part is a common-mode choke for the AC line.
It is not an audio transformer.

thanx much for the ID and the info....

I'll continue to rummage through my boxes.

...should create a game/thread here called "Guess the Component" where members post their oddest items for scrutiny

thanx again