Tips for the sexiest offboard wiring!

Started by benallison, April 07, 2010, 03:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegagan

true, doug, a few years back before the recession the mid-late 70s fender teles and strats were starting to get stupid expensive at the guitar shows. i laughed because i had the same experiences with the 70s stuff that you did. i heard from someone who lived in fullerton in the 70s that a lot of the workers making guitars were meth heads.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

MikeH

They're still stupid expensive around here
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Skruffyhound

joegagan

my lawyer called, he said i must retract the meth head allegation and apologize to all the families of those who may have or may be in the future affected by said allegation.

so here goes.  i 'polo-gize.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

DougH

Quote from: joegagan on April 14, 2010, 01:26:50 PM
my lawyer called, he said i must retract the meth head allegation and apologize to all the families of those who may have or may be in the future affected by said allegation.

so here goes.  i 'polo-gize.

Okay, I'll retract the "Nice..." response I was going to make to your retracted comment, then.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

G. Hoffman

eBay has really messed up peoples perceptions of older guitars.  But I think another part of it is that a lot of younger guys who are buying guitars have a hard time getting the difference between guitars that were made before they were born.  Then, there are people who assume that when we tell them that `70's Fenders suck, we are just being nostalgic ourselves.  The one that really gets to me is guys who want to keep their 70s Fenders completely stock so they don't "wreck the value," assuming that one day they will be as valuable as a `50's Fender.  Sorry dude, not going to happen.  There are only a few thousand `50's Fender Strats - maybe as many as 10,000, but I don't think so.  There are probably at least 10 times the number of 70's Strats.  Supply and demand tells us what is going to happen there!

Gabriel

solderman

Quote from: Thomeeque on April 13, 2010, 12:20:12 PM
Very important point here IMO is, that this wiring is sexy thanks to very smart layout of the chassis and thanks to fact, that the circuit is pretty simple actually - so good wiring is not only about good work with wires (if you catch my drift :icon_mrgreen:) and sometimes you just cannot make it so nice and tidy..

Quote from: solderman on April 13, 2010, 12:09:05 PM
One day I want to own one of those.

So build one - do you see there something you would not handle? ;)

T.

Edit: Btw. MetroAmp's Amp_Kit_Instructions show very nice wiring job!

Yes............ ;D
The rent on the mortgage money you have to pay for getting.....
That Power transformer
That OT transformer
NOS matched tubes
Mustard and mica caps
Silocon silver wire

To put it all together is a pieace of cake compared to the cost of buying the hardware. :icon_evil:

The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

solderman

Quote from: davent on April 14, 2010, 11:28:31 AM
For the wire fetishists. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDJibf8uZnQ&feature=player_embedded

Well
since this tread has wondered off to  every ting

Her is the clip of the century

It's a mad Frenchman DYI-ing hes own  vaccum tubes
Thai is truly amazing stuff. DYI taken to a religious level. 

http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/k4w0naemVWh83oryFm

If you haven't seen this don't miss it.
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

deadastronaut

Quote from: solderman on April 17, 2010, 04:14:00 PM
Quote from: davent on April 14, 2010, 11:28:31 AM
For the wire fetishists. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDJibf8uZnQ&feature=player_embedded

Well
since this tread has wondered off to  every ting

Her is the clip of the century

It's a mad Frenchman DYI-ing hes own  vaccum tubes
Thai is truly amazing stuff. DYI taken to a religious level. 

http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/k4w0naemVWh83oryFm

If you haven't seen this don't miss it.

that is brilliant......love the tune too...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

knealebrown

Quote from: G. Hoffman on April 14, 2010, 04:00:59 PM
eBay has really messed up peoples perceptions of older guitars.  But I think another part of it is that a lot of younger guys who are buying guitars have a hard time getting the difference between guitars that were made before they were born.  Then, there are people who assume that when we tell them that `70's Fenders suck, we are just being nostalgic ourselves.  The one that really gets to me is guys who want to keep their 70s Fenders completely stock so they don't "wreck the value," assuming that one day they will be as valuable as a `50's Fender.  Sorry dude, not going to happen.  There are only a few thousand `50's Fender Strats - maybe as many as 10,000, but I don't think so.  There are probably at least 10 times the number of 70's Strats.  Supply and demand tells us what is going to happen there!

Gabriel

I love my '77 Fender they ARE better than the modern ones. The main difference being the quality of the wood used in the body and the standard of craftmanship. This guitar is heavy as hell and built to last where as most modern strats ive played just feel like assembly line mass manufactured machines (obv not all of them). They arent always going to shoot up in value, but my saving grace with this one is that its signed by peter green of fleetwood mac. Just my two cents  ::)

''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

knealebrown

also everyone knows the more beaten up something is the better it sounds  ;D

Thanks for those nasa links, ill have to read some more stuff like that. BTW it must be a PITA working on the shop floor for NASA, 'and i though my boss was picky about details' :D
''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

joegagan

that really is a pretty strat. i  always liked the looks of the black pickguard era. especially sunbursts.

i have a friend with a similar large headstock where the finish is so aged it looks orange-ish brown. i heard that even in the urethane era, the headstocks received a quick shot of lacquer to lock down the decal before the poly went on. hence the yellowing.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: G. Hoffman on April 14, 2010, 04:00:59 PM

Yeah, I agree. While we're at it, we could also throw in old guitar pedals, too. Or anything that is "vintage".

It's funny, when I was a kid in the 70s, an old guitar was just an old guitar. They didn't fetch a lot of money (not talking about 50s Strats or that sort of thing, although in the 70s they weren't crazy like today). But today, anything with a "vintage" label on it is like legalized highway robbery and people apparently want to be robbed.  :icon_rolleyes:

G. Hoffman

Quote from: knealebrown on May 20, 2010, 04:41:17 AM
I love my '77 Fender they ARE better than the modern ones. The main difference being the quality of the wood used in the body and the standard of craftmanship.

Nope.  Modern Strats are FAR better designed and built than the old ones.  The workmanship coming out of the USA and Japanese factories is first class.  As far as them feeling mass produced - ALL Fenders feel mass produced, because they are - shocking! - mass produced instruments.  That was the whole point.  Leo Fender looked at a guitar and asked, "What can we take away to make it easier and cheaper to build?"  That was his whole philosophy, and it lead to guitars which were cheap enough for anyone to buy them, which I think we can all agree was probably a really good thing for rock `n roll.  The quality of work coming out of Fender in the last 15-20 years has been the highest they've ever had.  They are new, which has some downsides, but they are exceptionally well built guitars.  Mass produced, yes, but mass produced well.

Gabriel

Mtmattan

Where there any conclusions as to when you can twist your wires? I rate twisted/spiraled wires look pretty sexy!

It's fine to twist the DC wires together, but should one twist the three/two wires to each pot for example?

Really wish I could find some solid-core coloured ribbon wire locally...  :icon_mrgreen: