Jack Orman's Classic Mini Booster

Started by chptunes, March 26, 2012, 07:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chptunes

First Post here.  Thanks for all the inspiration and info here folks.  I've been reading for a while now.

After tinkering with Passive switching and filter circuits, I just recently finished building my first Active project - The Classice Mini Booster.  I bought the $10 PCB from Jack's website: www.muzique.com. There's a Mini Booster page linked at the bottom of the Lab Notebook page.

Jack emailed a link to the bonus web page that lists cool mods and design notes after I ordered the PCB.

It was a very easy build, and it is an awesome FAT booster.  I chose all of my components and features to maximize Fatness and color.. opposed to high headroom and clean.  I set mine up to be always on, whenever the input jack is engaged.  Other than the Volume control, I installed one SPDT switch.  The switch adds a red LED (in addition to the yellow LED) in series with the 9v battery clip, which yields less headroom and more FAT.. definately a 'Browner' sound.

I finished the PCB first so that I could test the circuit on breadboard and make tweaks before drilling and wiring my enclosure.

Lots of tailoring is available with this circuit.  The Mini Booster is worthy of it's legendary status.  Thank you Mr. Orman.

:)

chptunes

Update:  This weekend, I experimented with several clipping diode arrangements.. (to Ground, right before the Master Volume Pot.)

I tried LEDs, 1N914s, Schottkys, and MOSFETs.  I was just looking for a soft and sweet character.. nothing too radical.  After reading Mr. Orman's article about clipping MOSFETs and Zeners [in his Lab Notebook], I tried out a pair of IRF510s.  I tested several arrangements, but decided on the standard symmetrical set-up.  A softly clipped, smooth tone for sure.

Fun stuff. :)

chptunes

Update:  I pulled one of the MOSFETs, and left a single MOSFET connected for asymmetrical clipping.  I also added a few Resistors and Caps to smooth the clipping and cancel a little fizzy decay.  The result is classic Mini Booster fatness, with some added harmonic character and a little low-end chunk.

amz-fx

If you want more warm distortion from the project, lower the power supply to less than 9v.  I suggest 6v as a good starting value.

Best regards, Jack