1000 competition !!

Started by frequencycentral/Slade, April 03, 2012, 01:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Has anyone else noticed the conspicuous absence of any comments or posts from Slade  ???

Hope things are going OK down in ole' Chile  :-\
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Slade

I'm judging in my bunker.

Es culpa de Rick.

frequencycentral

Quote from: Slade on August 17, 2012, 08:47:42 AM
I'm judging in my bunker.

Es culpa de Rick.

Es culpa de Rick indeed!     

Es culpa de mono perezoso @#$%!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Govmnt_Lacky

@Slade

Good to see you have made preperations for the coming end of days!  ;D The batch of entries looks pretty competitive. Although, that bunker may come in handy in case any of the runner-ups from the competition are turned at the zombie apocolypse and decide to exact revenge!!  :icon_twisted:  :icon_mrgreen:

@Rick

Has someone been feverishly working on finishing a certain one-of-a-kind phaser?  :D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

pakrat

Maybe they're waiting until the apocalypse so they won't be forced to judge

Govmnt_Lacky

pakrat

When they were still good......

Quackzed

wait.... i think i'm getting something...
is that you freq?...

p.s... you can hear 'voices' from 3:10-3:35...  :icon_eek:
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Earthscum

So, is that Phaser gonna sound anything as awesome as this?

If so, I'm kicking myself in the azz fuss.   :icon_lol:
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

Govmnt_Lacky

Ya know.....

All of the potential entries that didn't quite make it into the 1000 competition could always regroup and try again...

1024 competition...

1044 competition...

Just an idea  :icon_mrgreen:

Maybe even offer the winning pedal from the 1000 competition for the prize  :icon_eek:

Solder.... rinse.... repeat  ::)

Earthscum

I have a great suggestion... a "GREEN" competition, useable "green" pedals. Obviously, solar panels would be kewl, but not usable. Rechargeables, passives, extremely low power.

My lowaht circuit would probably qualify, lol... it's been running off the same A12 battery for well over a year now. Popped in a new one a couple weeks ago and couldn't hear any difference, so old one went back in.

There are a couple great passives around the site that would make a badazz "green" box.

NiCad seems like it would be fun, design a wah that regenerates as you rock it. Just rock it back and forth a couple times after you plug in to get an initial charge going. (someone is going to totally steal this idea and make money off it, lol).
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

pakrat

That's a very interesting idea. I would be in even though I can't get a single circuit to work out of the gate  :icon_lol:

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Earthscum on August 18, 2012, 10:16:24 AM
NiCad seems like it would be fun, design a wah that regenerates as you rock it. Just rock it back and forth a couple times after you plug in to get an initial charge going. (someone is going to totally steal this idea and make money off it, lol).

This would only be remotely do-able if you used an LED/LDR for the resistance changes  :-\

Rocking back and forth on a mechanical resistance wah (i.e. HotPotz) would only speed up the wear and tear on the pot.

I like your "green" minded attitude towards the project!  ;D

Does anyone like my previous idea of having on-going competitions? We could set them up with time and date deadlines vice page numbers.

artifus

like a wind up torch/radio mechanism? cool. reminds of the pedal power (as in cycling/push bike powered) rigs i've seen at some festivals. audience powered gigs - punters working off the pounds to keep the batteries charged - then you'd really know if your band sucked as everyone would just stop pedalling and the power would cut! could bring a whole new meaning to 'unplugged' performances!

i like the compo idea but as i discovered in this comp life can often get in the way of the best laid plans and the sign up/drop out ratio could get out of kilter as a result.

Jdansti

Hook up enough of those shake & charge flashlights (minus the LEDs) in parallel and series to get you the voltage and capacity you need, then shake and bake!  You could also make a treadle activated spinner to keep them charged as you play and keep time with your foot on the treadle.

OR

Make a beefed up  DIY shaker generator that has more power.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

artifus

haha! excellent! we've gone from the end of the world to trying to save it. beautiful! i love you guys!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: artifus on August 18, 2012, 01:45:57 PM
i like the compo idea but as i discovered in this comp life can often get in the way of the best laid plans and the sign up/drop out ratio could get out of kilter as a result.

I understand your point. My idea for these competitions would be more about keeping the site up instead of any form of profit. I would suggest having a "donation" to the site in order to enter. Probably a minimum of $5 or so. Also, the prize wouldn't be as fancy as what will come from the 1000 competition but, it would be good enough to get a few entries  ;D
My initial suggestion is offering the winning 1000 pedal as the prize for the first "time/date deadline" competition. I wouldn't mind doing that. Sure I don't want to see it go but, if it fosters more giving and getting more revenue to the site... I'm for it!  8)

Of course, ground rules would need to be set up. That could be done by some of the more senior members here and then once they are established, the prize would come from these members untils more people decide to join in. I know times are tough but, I'm not talking about having to produce some mega pedal for the prize!! A cool modded TS or even a pimped out delay would be fine. I am sure plenty of people would donate $5 to get one.

Basically, I am just trying to encourage a giving mentality and trying to foster some spirited competition! You never know what will come from it!  :icon_lol:

artifus

kinda like my idea to save the worlds economy and end poverty - everyone who can spare a dollar lends me a dollar, i bank it for a few days to earn some interest to live off of for a while and then pay you all back and we all lend the next guy a dollar and around it goes. eventually even those who couldn't initially afford a dollar soon would. i then realised that not only has the financial sector already have a monopoly on this scam (it shows up money for the illusion and control mechanism that it really is) but it would also take quite a while for the cycle to reach the little guy at the end of the chain. what if the donor of the prize had their choice of sub $5 (or entrance fee) part from the store as recompense? i realise this isn't really our thing to discuss but thought i'd throw the idea out there anyway, seeing as how it is under discussion.

*adjusts tin foil hat* lend me a dollar?  :P

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: artifus on August 18, 2012, 03:05:22 PM
what if the donor of the prize had their choice of sub $5 (or entrance fee) part from the store as recompense?

Huh  ???

Could you explain what it is you are saying here?

artifus

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 18, 2012, 03:09:14 PM
Quote from: artifus on August 18, 2012, 03:05:22 PM
what if the donor of the prize had their choice of sub $5 (or entrance fee) part from the store as recompense?

Huh  ???

Could you explain what it is you are saying here?

if you donate the prize for the current comp you get to choose a part from the sites store that cost the same or less than the entrance fee you paid to enter the last comp that you won. thus you remain a 'winner' having not lost out financially (aside from your time/effort and parts etc*) and still have an altruistic/philanthropic warm glow inside to help you sleep at night.
i haven't really thought this through, t'was just an idea... *i'll stop thinking now or i'll be forever editing this post. i'm prolly just being a silly again.

*gah!*