1000 competition !!

Started by frequencycentral/Slade, April 03, 2012, 01:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: artifus on August 18, 2012, 03:17:23 PM
if you donate the prize for the current comp you get to choose a part from the sites store that cost the same or less than the entrance fee paid to enter the last comp. i haven't really thought this through, t'was just an idea...

I understand now.

Donating as much as possible to the forum is one of the main objectives of the idea. Also, there is nothing wrong with a winner of one of these competitions keeping that prize and offering another "build" as a prize. On another note, the prize does not have to be a build at all. It could be a HotPotz, a Fasel, a MN3007 chip, just about anything! Also, you struck a good idea in saying that the latest winner would also be the next prize provider. At the very least, they would have 2 items to offer (the winning build OR the prize item)

Just ideas now but, I would like to see it happen  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

cloudscapes

*starts looking for zinc, and copper*  :icon_biggrin:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

LucifersTrip

Quote from: artifus on August 18, 2012, 01:45:57 PM
like a wind up torch/radio mechanism? cool. reminds of the pedal power (as in cycling/push bike powered) rigs i've seen at some festivals. audience powered gigs - punters working off the pounds to keep the batteries charged - then you'd really know if your band sucked as everyone would just stop pedalling and the power would cut! could bring a whole new meaning to 'unplugged' performances!

reminded me of this French commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z03XmQ5LfLg
always think outside the box

pakrat

I like the idea of further competitions, and supporting this site. I wouldn't have even finished my build if there wasn't a deadline on it...

Govmnt_Lacky

I don't know about the other contenders but...

THIS SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!  :icon_eek:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Quackzed

these competition type senarios are fun!, and hopefully offer a bit of inscentive to BUILD something  :icon_redface:...
so coming up with some way to support the site and offer up a prize seems senisble...
off the top of my head,  a 10$ donation 'entry fee' for a minimum of 10 contestants (100$+) and a prize worth @50$ or a store credit for that amount...
maybee a few little honorable mention prizes for fun... you could have a judge or a vote/poll...

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Perrow

Quote from: Quackzed on August 18, 2012, 05:47:05 PM
these competition type senarios are fun!, and hopefully offer a bit of inscentive to BUILD something  :icon_redface:...
so coming up with some way to support the site and offer up a prize seems senisble...
off the top of my head,  a 10$ donation 'entry fee' for a minimum of 10 contestants (100$+) and a prize worth @50$ or a store credit for that amount...
maybee a few little honorable mention prizes for fun... you could have a judge or a vote/poll...

Had basically the same idea, Arons said he doesn't really like the site to be run on donations and would much rather sell stuff to finance it. My idea was to have all or most of the entry fees be given as "store credit" prizes, quite possible to more than the winner. I think we should start with a "best build yet competition", say max five entries per person and a dollar or two for each build entered.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Perrow on August 18, 2012, 06:40:40 PM
Had basically the same idea, Arons said he doesn't really like the site to be run on donations and would much rather sell stuff to finance it. My idea was to have all or most of the entry fees be given as "store credit" prizes, quite possible to more than the winner. I think we should start with a "best build yet competition", say max five entries per person and a dollar or two for each build entered.

The only downside to the "best build yet" competition is that it would literally drag on for months and months. Cranking out say 3-5 quality builds just takes too long. The option I am proposing has no real changes to the 1000 competition other than:

1) ALL of the profit goes to the site (the current winner gets bragging rights and a new pedal OR store items  :icon_mrgreen:)
2) The deadlines will be SET. Not determined by page numbers.

It would/could almost mimic the Xmas re-gifting theme. If the builder wins, they have 2 options. They can offer up their winning build OR they can offer up the prize they won.

This process would ensure that there are no "lame" builds offered which would decrease the interest in entering. If you win, you either offer up YOUR best build for the competition or you offer up the LAST GUY'S best build!  ;D

For say... $5 entry, you get 10 people to enter, that is $50 to the site and the winner gets a cool new pedal! And so on... and so on...

If Aron prefers it, you could even use the forum's take and award the winner that much in store credit! So, if its $5 entry and you get 12 people, the winner would get $60 in store items  ;) If the winner decides to offer up their store credit, then so be it!

I am not good at thinking about the finer points of this. I would just like to keep the site funded and get some friendly competition going. Plus it is always cool seeing what people come up with!!  :icon_cool:

ludashoeless

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 18, 2012, 07:00:10 PM
Quote from: Perrow on August 18, 2012, 06:40:40 PM

The only downside to the "best build yet" competition is that it would literally drag on for months and months. Cranking out say 3-5 quality builds just takes too long. The option I am proposing has no real changes to the 1000 competition other than:

1) ALL of the profit goes to the site (the current winner gets bragging rights and a new pedal OR store items  :icon_mrgreen:)
2) The deadlines will be SET. Not determined by page numbers.

It would/could almost mimic the Xmas re-gifting theme. If the builder wins, they have 2 options. They can offer up their winning build OR they can offer up the prize they won.

This process would ensure that there are no "lame" builds offered which would decrease the interest in entering. If you win, you either offer up YOUR best build for the competition or you offer up the LAST GUY'S best build!  ;D

For say... $5 entry, you get 10 people to enter, that is $50 to the site and the winner gets a cool new pedal! And so on... and so on...

If Aron prefers it, you could even use the forum's take and award the winner that much in store credit! So, if its $5 entry and you get 12 people, the winner would get $60 in store items  ;) If the winner decides to offer up their store credit, then so be it!

I am not good at thinking about the finer points of this. I would just like to keep the site funded and get some friendly competition going. Plus it is always cool seeing what people come up with!!  :icon_cool:

what if the 1s competitions prize is the amount of the entrance  fees in credit. then the winner gets to judge the second, and the prize for that is the entrance fees plus the previous prize money and it keeps going like that until 12 months later when the stakes are huge and then it starts over

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: ludashoeless on August 18, 2012, 07:46:15 PM
what if the 1s competitions prize is the amount of the entrance  fees in credit. then the winner gets to judge the second, and the prize for that is the entrance fees plus the previous prize money and it keeps going like that until 12 months later when the stakes are huge and then it starts over

I like it!  ;D

Make it like a "Build of the Month" competition where all of the monthly winners are entitled to recieve an imediate prize of half the entry fees in store credit. Then, at the end of the year all of the monthly winners are judged and the winner gets the remainder of the pot!!!

To make it even better, the next months winner is chosen by the previous month's winner. That way, if you get beaten by the winner that YOU picked.... you only have yourself to blame!  ;D

The yearly winner is chosen by a non-participant.

Perrow

Winnings as store credit was what I meant if that wasn't clear.

As for the best build yet comp it could have its deadline in two weeks as you'd be allowed to enter any pedal, built any time, perhaps only limited to builds that've been posted in this thread before the start of the comp.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

deadastronaut

my cat wanted to enter the comp, i told her it was too late but this is her entry...

and she forgot about the theme too..and no gut shot either..... :P

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Jdansti

Quote from: deadastronaut on August 19, 2012, 11:00:19 AM
my cat wanted to enter the comp, i told her it was too late but this is her entry...

and she forgot about the theme too..and no gut shot either..... :P

Cats never follow the rules!!! :icon_twisted:

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Quackzed

i think you guys have this competition idea figured out pretty good!
i wonder if rather than doing a monthly/ half prize then yearly big winner half prize
it wouldnt make it simpler to just keep it monthly/full prize...
only due to there being a bigger monthly prize and that being the major incentive.
10 people in for 5$ ea. for a prize of 50$
rather than 25$... also the other $ having to wait around a year to be assigned might be a small pita...
just a thought...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Govmnt_Lacky

Logged in today and still no decision on the 1000 competition.  :icon_eek:

There is always tomorrow  :icon_mrgreen:

I really hope the continuing competition idea takes off. I think it would be a great thing all around!!  8)

cloudscapes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

snarblinge

although I can never set aside the time to enter these things, I dream one day I could. i'd be more in Favor of a quarterly comp. I think it would get more people in one batch and increase the chances of it continuing. a monthly thing is hard to keep up. but i could be wrong.

nice work all.
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

Jdansti

Quote from: snarblinge on August 19, 2012, 06:56:46 PM
although I can never set aside the time to enter these things, I dream one day I could. i'd be more in Favor of a quarterly comp. I think it would get more people in one batch and increase the chances of it continuing. a monthly thing is hard to keep up. but i could be wrong.

nice work all.

I agree. The other thing to consider is that the judges are volunteers. Does the forum have an anonymous polling feature?  That way the forum members could do the judging.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

pakrat

Quote from: Jdansti on August 19, 2012, 07:06:32 PM

Does the forum have an anonymous polling feature?  That way the forum members could do the judging.

+1

slacker

Just got back from 4 days away from reality and internet connections, glad to see I haven't missed anything :)